PHP - CodeIgniter

All about creating websites!
ayu
Staff
Staff

PHP - CodeIgniter

Post by ayu »

A few years ago I had a project at my University where we used a PHP Framework called CodeIgniter.

Code: Select all

http://codeigniter.com/
And now, I have a new project going on called "släktskogen.se", which is strictly a Swedish site right now as you might notice by the special character in the domain name.

Anyway so the project is to make a tool to create and manage family trees (request from some of my relatives), and to do this I chose to utilize CodeIgniter.

So, what made me choose this then?
Well first of all, I have used it before so I know how to get around in it, which makes the learning curve slightly smaller.
And of course that can be both a good and a bad thing, depending on if you are after learning something entirely new or just to build something.
I am after both though, and since I didn't use CodeIgniter that much in the last project, I am still learning a lot of things here, as well as getting used to it again so that I might be able to attract some customers through my work to use it, thus spreading open source solutions :)

Another reason for me to use CodeIgniter, is that it's very easy to understand and has a very common and logical structure.
It's based on a Model-View-Controller development pattern, which is common today, and makes the code very easy to organize and creates a beautiful structure.

It also has tons of functions to help you do things that often becomes either annoying or a risk when you are developing in pure PHP.
Like escaping SQL queries for examples, is so much simpler with this tool as it has query methods that do it all for you

See "Query Bindings" at the link below to see what I am currently using the most when querying my database server.

http://codeigniter.com/user_guide/database/queries.html
And just something as encryption and hashing passwords for your database is very simple

http://codeigniter.com/user_guide/libraries/encryption.html
And there's a good example of the MVC pattern here

http://codeigniter.com/user_guide/tutorial/static_pages.html
It's simply a very fast, easy to understand and secure framework to use when developing in PHP.

If anyone has any questions then don't be afraid to ask! :)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Re: PHP - CodeIgniter

Post by maboroshi »

If anyone has any questions then don't be afraid to ask!
Will it Ignite my Code?

Nah I have used Code Igniter a little bit and I think it is very good frame work for PHP I know Circuitbomb uses it quite extensively:-)

*enjoy the fun cats

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

maboroshi wrote:
If anyone has any questions then don't be afraid to ask!
Will it Ignite my Code?

Nah I have used Code Igniter a little bit and I think it is very good frame work for PHP I know Circuitbomb uses it quite extensively:-)

*enjoy the fun cats
I can't guarantee that it wont ignite your code actually, so be careful.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by visser »

On the Model end of things...

Is it a full blown Object to Relational Manager (ORM) or is it just a Database Abstraction Layer (DAL)????

UPDATE I have been using this guy a lot. So I would like to spill some of my thoughts and get some of your guys reactions as well.

All in all CI follows the standard that you expect from a modern web framework. As Cats mentioned its rocking the MVC wonderfully so that keeps things really easy for you.

On a security note you can actually break parts of your application into various folders. Currently I have one core system of CI and two applications which reference the same core. This means that if i have to update CI I dont have to worry about doing it for all of my applications. And all of the applications rely on the authentication built into CI.

The way that the views were loaded was actually pretty nicely done. If planned right and executed properly the actual generation of the html is cake. I actually preferred CI's way of doing it to anything I have used on other frameworks. Its a little more brute force, but that gives you a little bit more control to it, which is nice.

O and the model, its a DAL which is alrighty i spose. I am way into ORM so I was hoping for that but wasnt let down in any way because of their Active Record Query (or some shit look here: http://codeigniter.com/user_guide/datab ... mples.html)
So since it still has that then i can still be a lazy programmer and put off memorizing the various sql statements and shit to the T.
AKA Scottyrabbit

software engineers unite!

//When my words are remembered its because my actions were loud enough.