Protecting my server?

All about creating websites!
F4LSE
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Protecting my server?

Post by F4LSE »

I have an apache server set up. It was difficult for me but i finally figured it all out. Now i need to find out how to make it secure as possible but still accesible to everyone. Also with my modem service i have to enable Static NAT when i want to host. Even when i turn-off the apache server my zone alarm keeps blocking attempts to my computer. I Disabled the Static NAT and they go away. Any explanations to help me understand this?!?! thanx a bunch!
/

p99

Post by p99 »

I would honestly worry more about how secure the applications on your site are. Use proper filtering techniques and probe for possible vulnerabilities. If people are nice they might check your site out for something bad. If you use any type of database make sure it's not visible from an external ip. For the most part people aren't going to exploit the apache service just applications on the site. And any other way in likely isn't dealing with apache. If your on Windows or linux you want to check your services and security policies.

F4LSE

Post by F4LSE »

alright thanx. when i get my site up ill post it so i can maybe get some feedback

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, well, NAT is also a security issue, so it's better to have it enabled. I think the problem is caused by zone alarm, it's a good firewall for everyday use but it sucks when you want to do more than the usual "get your emails and surf" stuff because the customization possibilities are too limited.
try Tiny firewall, here is the last freeware version:
http://www.brothersoft.com/soft/pf2.exe

:wink:

F4LSE

Post by F4LSE »

awesome ill giver it a whirl
thanx!

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Use a harware firewall in addition to the software firewall. :D
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

Asuna
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Asuna »

yes, i agree with lyecdevf. many Cisco routers have built in hardware firewalls (of course, Cisco can be an expensive brand, so you may or may not want to go with them.)