First Major Web Hosting

All about creating websites!
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

First Major Web Hosting

Post by visser »

Ok so me and diagnol have done some basic stuff with web hosting. However a class im in at school (journalism) wants to try and put a web site up to host our news articles on. Heres the thing im worried about. Webhosting. i have some ideas but not many. wanted to get something wihtout any advertisement and get some way to make it bigger than just our little town that we live in.

Another big thing is security. If we pay some sort of web hosting are they going to keep us protected, or am i left to make sure that what i encode is secure. we wont be doing any big php or my sql. Just basic html. maybe some audio. nothing to major.

Big things to take in consideration here though:

1. this is a school website, and i wont be here to keep it up and running for ever

2 needs to be basic so others who dont know so much can pick up on it easily and edit the code themselves.

3 needs to be a .com, noe of the .co.nr The "chief editor" at my school wants a .com and i need an A in the class. so hes going to et one :lol:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

school project

Post by DNR »

Your school should already have a network, and it would be a matter of contacting the sysadmin to be given permission to make a index page when students log in to the school network.

If you need a outside domain, then find a webhost that will aid you in settting up everything, including providing html editors, databases, and even mailing lists. The webhost will provide the security. You'll probably name the website after the school mascot or something.

Ownership will lie with the instructor, so he can continue the project after you leave his class.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

visser

Post by visser »

well i can easily give the teacher the passwords and stuff to the website. but on e thing is that the sysadmin already has a site up for our school. so how would i set up a virtual server. The school administrator will also not let me even access the servers other than what i already have limited access being a student. and i dont want to crack the servers for a class. lol.

so can i just pay someone to host the files and such for me. im correct in saying thats web hosting, yea? like i said. the teacher is willing to pay some money to keep it up every month. so i dont think hosting off of the school servers would be possible because of the sysadmin. ill talk to him but i dont think itll work out.

any suggestions. Thank you so much for the help!!!