Need help

All about creating websites!
jasonxxx102
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Need help

Post by jasonxxx102 »

I set up a server and I would like to host some webpages without having to buy a domain name, does anybody have any suggestions or links for any programs I could use? This would help alot thx

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

yea it can happen, but should you?

Post by DNR »

dude. :-s

You don't need a webname or domain, people will just have to type in your IP and port

Your computer is identified by your IP. After that, you can specify what ports are running, example http://192.68.144.54:8080, or ftp://192.68.144.54

This will only work with a _static_ IP, like a cable or ISDL. If your IP changes everytime you relog-on to your ISP, then people trying to find your 'server' will need to know your new assigned IP. You could leave your box on all the time.. :-k

You can download many free/share ware programs to run ports on your computer. You can run your box as a server, FTP, HTTP, SMTP, and stuff like torrent.

Now, your ISP might not let you run those services, SMTP for example to prevent people from setting up spam servers. Maybe not FTP, because they dont want the bandwidth tied up with people downloading stuff, maybe they worry about copyright violations in music and video streams from your box.

But anyways, a lot of software to do this is easy as 'google.com', or even the suck-o download section.

Now I assume you are not such a noobie to forget how risky and insecure it is to open your box to share files and services. If you dont know how to control access to files and privileges, you better know who you are giving out your IP to. 8-[

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I would suggest http://no-ip.com since they have a "dynamic update client" that updates your domain to your ip. I used to have the domain "fatalh.sytes.net" but bad_brain was kind enough to give me a free domain for tying for 3rd place in a graphics contest...

Either way, configure your firewall and double check the configuration, you don't want any unnecessary weaknesses in your firewall. Also, when coding a website, if you're unsure about anything, definitely post in the web-development or coding forum here and have somebody here give you a hand.

Good luck ;)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

jasonxxx102

Post by jasonxxx102 »

lol ok thx Im not that much of a noobie

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Re: Need help

Post by Lyecdevf »

jasonxxx102 wrote:I set up a server and I would like to host some webpages without having to buy a domain name,
That sounds a good idea. I was thinking of doing the same thing and I do have a static IP so I should have no problem doing so. If you need any help, PM me and maybe we can turn it into a team project.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

domain names are not expensive, you can buy one and have it point to your ip

seer

Post by seer »

If you set up the website on your personal computer, you needn`t buy a domain name.Because you may not have a static IP, also,your computer cannot always working.It`s only for temporary use.
If you bought a server or virtul-host to set up the site...you cannot even afford to buy a domain name?

jasonxxx102

Post by jasonxxx102 »

I bought the domain name but its not just that you have to buy a webhosting and stuff like that it all adds up