[Project]Online trading system.

All about creating websites!
vimal

[Project]Online trading system.

Post by vimal »

hey GUyz i have given a project in my college on online trading system.
its just like an ebay ... type where we have to sell products transation should be with bank/draft or paypal and there should be a product catalog. and languages used for this project are recommended PHP andMysql well i am from programming background like C and C++ java. the point is that Guyz i need you help :oops: :cry: Yeah Plz help me... and i am willing to learn .. PLz guide me what step should i take first i create which page and than which how to hyper link them and etc etc :( PLz help me guyz

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, I would recommend to use a pre-made CMS platform for this, except you have REALLY a lot of time. coding your own auction platform from scratch needs a lot of php/mysql knowledge, and the fact sensitive customer/bank-data will be stored on the site would make it very risky as 1st project.

here's a good one: http://phpauction.net/gpl.php
if you want to look at other platforms you will surely find something on http://www.sourceforge.net .

but if you really want to take the hard way get a good PHP/MySQL book (imo it's still easier to learn from a real book than from the screen), and also check the PHP site: http://www.php.net/

:wink:

G-Brain
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by G-Brain »

You know C? I disagree.

C programmers know how to use Google.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

G-brain, i don't think this situation calls for a "just google it" scenario. Considering he does have c/c++ and java knowlege, i believe he knows that it's going to take some advice on this one. There is no guide out there for coding an auction website.

Vimal, since you know c/c++, php will be a breeze for you. Even better, you don't have to define a variable as an integer, character, string, float, etc. A variable is a variable and that's that. Working with SQL is not difficult either, once you know php fairly well.

Go learn the basics of php Here, and then use PHP.net to help you further your knowledge. I don't think it'll take too much time at all for you to learn, and creating an auction website will be simply a matter of time.

Good luck!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

G-Brain

Post by G-Brain »

I figured C programmers wouldn't be the "PLZ HELP ME GUIZ" type. We'll see.

And if this guy was a C programmer, he should have been able to break down the problem...

How auctions work
Product details
Table layout
PHP => MySQL
Paypal API
User registration, verification, authentication

vimal

Post by vimal »

Thanks friend for replying.. Ya i will now learn the basic of php .. because guess cms will not help .. i have four month time i can make it :) if i go through hard way ...:) 4 months is enough.. thanks for ya php links :) i will study them... and Dude :P C and C++ is different from Html. In c and C++ i dont need internet i used to work and compile in my window... but For the project i was bit tensed because i have never done Php and mysql. related to web site.. kinda stuff... but ya in java i know tomcat and servelets ,applets kinda things. but php and mysql is a new concept to me... and i have only 4 months... thats why i asked help mate.. Any ways cheers guyz and thanks for help i will study your link .. for testing i have download wamp.is it fine guyz? and found this

Code: Select all

http://oscommerce.com/
from google.:D ok .. i know how to use google..:P but i guess this is a form for web development and i have right to ask isnt it...?between... this i will study its code.. if i have any problem related to that code will u again :) Reply me.... ANyways guys this website or forum rocks...:) :D :P

Edited by Nerdz.
------------------------
1. Bold text is used to highlight word. Not post..
2. Try to separate your sentence into paragraph to make it much easier for the reader.
3. I can see that english is not your primary language and that's fine. But please try to make an effort. Z doesn't replace S, guyz -> guys.
4. When posting links from a website, please use the

tag.
[/color]

vimal

Post by vimal »

OK sorry from next time i will remember that :)

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I can see you're definitely wanting to put some effort into this, so i'll help you a little bit:

PHP code is a bit self explanatory, when you know what the code is supposed to do. In this following instance, The code is supposed to get information from an HTML form that has been posted to a website, and replace the first letter of a sentence with it's corresponding capital letter.

<?PHP

$post = $_POST['html_post']; // Get information from the HTML post.

$uppers = str_split("ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"); //Split the string ABC... etc. into an array with each letter in a seperate segment. Ex: $uppers[0] = "A", $uppers[1] = "B", etc.

$lowers = str_split("abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"); //Similar to the above.

for($a = 0; $a < count($uppers); $a++) // The famous FOR statement. No explanation needed here, really. the count() function counts the elements in an array.
{
$post = str_replace(". " . $lowers[$a], ". " . $uppers[$a], $post); 
/*
The str_replace() function works like this:
str_replace(STR $search, STR $replace, STR $subject);

Also, if you want to combine a variable and a string, you use a dot "."
EX:

$word = "had";
$phrase = "Mary " . $word . " a little lamb.";
*/
}

print($post);

?>
As you can see, C++ and PHP are closely related. If you follow the right tutorials, and ask the right questions, it will come to you like a lost memory ;).

vimal

Post by vimal »

Wow!! Thanks mate... php is very closely related to C++ here in php we use $ sign infornt of a variable :) thats pretty kool :) but its functions are bit too similar like C++ . ANd "." this is used for concatinate :wink: WOw!!! thats is so kool :) thanks for teaching me that :) i am Looking for more new stuffs :) thanks mate. one more question is Php programing is also like object oriented programming ..kinda things?

vimal

Post by vimal »

Yeah Somone told me .. for php .. u should know a bit about html . so i created a simple website on Html

http://vimal126.110mb.com 
We can embed Html between Php tags .?? i means

<?php

Html<stuff>

?>

php is used to make dynamic Pages? and php source is never shown to the user browser?Only html shown?

is it true?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

vimal wrote:
We can embed Html between Php tags .?? i means

<?php

Html<stuff>

?>
Well, no, you can't simply put HTML inside of the PHP tags, you would have to echo it, example: echo 'html tags here';
vimal wrote: php is used to make dynamic Pages? and php source is never shown to the user browser?Only html shown?

is it true?
That is true indeed =) PHP can be used for a lot more though, but it's mainly used for dynamic pages.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

And try w3schools. They explain the basic of cookie and session which is really usefull. Also if you want to use HTML in your <?php?> tags, jsut like cats said you just have to use the

echo"<HTML>";

Ohh and php guru can correct me if I'm wrong but to be able to echo stuff without any warning, I think you need to put a <?php> on the first line of your page. Else you might get a warning with something about the header..

Well that's how I solved this yesterday :roll:
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Nerdz, you get a php warning when you try to send a header after outputting something. For instance:

This code won't work:

<?php

echo "Hello, world!";

session_start();

?>
But this will:

<?PHP

session_start();

echo "Hello, world!";

?>

vimal

Post by vimal »

Thanks for all the info :)

require('includes/application_top.php');
is this like hyperlink jumping between two php pages? for getting information about that page ?

$box = new box;
whats is this new keyword... is it like java that new keyword creates a space in a memory for that object?

=>

->
what are these?

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, the include(); and require(); function basically import the code from one PHP script into the current script.

Also, you don't really need to use classes or object oriented programming in PHP. Anything you do, you can do it without those.

The operator '=>' is a way to set the key of an array. For example:

$arr = array("a" => "e1", "b" => "e2");

Array "arr" look like this:

Array
(
[a] = "e1"
= "e2"
)

And '->' ... i have no idea.