Website idea, need a place to start.

All about creating websites!
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Website idea, need a place to start.

Post by visser »

<---------------------i blanked this all out now------------------->

so my problem is where do i start? Ive made some basic websites and i would consider myself a quick learner. so how would i allow people to login and upload videos? how can i impliment a forum? how can i almost recreate mysapce? lol what code languages would i need to learn or become proficiant in? how can i allow people to post videos?

i would apreciate any help comments ideas tips tricks pie money. anything would be good!
Thanks in advance

and ivve got a couple of years to work on this. not to worried about time constraints....
Last edited by visser on 11 May 2008, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, it's a good thing that you have a while to do this, because it's gonna take some time. First off, don't recreate myspace. It fucking sucks, and it'll make it look like you can't come up with your own ideas.

What i would suggest is to first come up with an outline on how your website is going to work - only the basic and most needed functions first, and you can work on adding the "luxuries" later. Remember to build the website in a way to where you can easily add updates and new features to it.

Secondly, to do this you will need to learn HTML, CSS, possibly Javascript, PHP or Perl (php is most widely used for websites), and MySQL.

To start, you're going to need a webspace that supports PHP and provides you with a MySQL database. However, i would suggest installing PHP, MySQL, and Apache on your computer and doing the development, it'll save you money.

Once you have your website developed and you're happy with it, come here and have us test the security, the last thing you want is some renegade hacker to find an obvious vuln. and deface half your website.

Once all that's done, upload to your webspace and buy a domain.

Good luck, and feel free to post any questions.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, you already know what kind of site you want to do...so you have taken already the biggest step.
now you have 2 options:
- build the site from scratch
- or use a pre-made platform (Content Management System)

the first option is of course better, because it gives you the opportunity to learn a lot...and web dev is all about experience, you grow with every site.
the 2nd option will teach you almost nothing but you save a lot of time....
you can also combine both by setting up a pre-made platform and customizing it, but for beginners the source code of such platforms is overwhelming, it can be pretty annoying. so you will need at least basic knowledge of PHP/MySQL anyway.

and before you get some webspace (free webspace usually sucks because either the possibilities are very limited and/or the domain name sucks...a good site needs an own domain name) best do what gogeta recommended: set up an own web server at home, it's completely free and again a good opportunity to learn.

:wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

good idea, truck stop online..

Post by DNR »

At least a forum I suppose for truckers.
My dad was one for awhile, and truckers do tend to stick together and hang out.
As far as their technical savvy to write or use a internet tool its there - they like gadgets , GPS, phones, and entertainment. I suppose if you can put something together like .weatherbonk.com a site that displays traffic cameras along with the weather, truck stops, food and lodging ratings, and maybe real-time fuel prices..

Let me know.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

There is not forum for truck drivers. You would think that in this day of age every thing already exists. Well any way I kind of like the idea. I am not much of a website builder but I do know some HTML and CSS. So if you need any help let me know! Maybe we can work together on it!
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

visser

Post by visser »

yea. well i just installed ubuntu so im gonna hop on the suck-o irc soon so that would be good to have some support from others and such.

currently i know php mysql html and css. ive built somewhere around 6 websites for school and for fun so i think ive got the basic ideas. lol. but i also just set up a webserver. im working on getting it tweaked to where i want it. (ubuntu server was WAY bewtter than windoze server 2003. everything installs so much easier and the such. lol

thanks for the tips guys. ill def get everything tweaked then hop on the forums when i got some basic ideas planned out and some basic code going. me and diagnol will probably get a crap load of this stuff figured out fast. were getting out of school for summer vacation in a month. so that will free up about 5 hours a day to work on the stuff. hopefully with some help from you guys and some technical input i can learn all of the stuff i want to learn.

thanks so much guys

visser

Post by visser »

ive been looking and looking around for some stuff. im starting to get a feel for everything. im still very hazy about 2 things tho.

1. how does one set up a forum? i know that its not php but phpBB so, what the ef am i supposed to do abotu that. lol

2. how in the world do i stream videos, so many people want me to pay for that. ummm no, its open source you jerk. lol.

imho its stupid to sell scripts that is written in open source code. rather than write it and sell it to the everyday average man, why not tell us how to learn it! it dont have to be amazingly perfect, but sharing of knowledge is what its all about :P

any and all help has been apreciated and any more would be great!

G-Brain

Post by G-Brain »

visser wrote:1. how does one set up a forum? i know that its not php but phpBB so, what the ef am i supposed to do abotu that. lol
phpBB is a Bulletin Board system written in PHP, hence: phpBB.

It's easy to install, there's a nice guide on their website.

visser

Post by visser »

sweet sounds simple enough. now to actually do it. lol
thanks g brain

still havein troubles with number 2. how do i stream videos. AACCKK lol any sort of tip or lead is what i need!

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

You'll need to run a video streaming server, or use the EMBED tag to embed a video into your website. Or is it the Object tag now...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

visser

Post by visser »

i would like to have it set up so users upload videos on my server. not some other site. lol. so a video streaming server, lol more to look into :P thanks a bunch tho!

EDIT: i blanked out my idea. the more i look into it the more i want to do it and get some cash for it. need a way to pay for college. and i dont want people steeling my idea :P