So i have a small lockpick set that has the following:

1 Double Ball (snowman) pick
2 Hook picks, 1 smaller than the other
1 "C" rake pick
1 "L" rake pick
1 rake that's similar to an "S" rake pick
1 "sawtooth" rake
1 Tension wrench

One problem i tend to have is with smaller locks, my tension wrench takes up too much space in the lock, and sometimes the hook on the pick is too pronounced. It's not impossible in this case, but it takes me more time because i tend to accidentally lift pins that i didn't mean to...

As for technique, i tend to use my fingers to move the pick in and out, as it gives me greater control. Also, instead of pushing the pick up, i tilt the back end down and it acts as a lever, also giving me more control of the pick.

Now, what about you guys? ^_^
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Re: Annoyances, techniques, etc

Post by DNR »

gogeta70 wrote:Just wanted to get some activity here.

So i have a small lockpick set that has the following:

1 Double Ball (snowman) pick
2 Hook picks, 1 smaller than the other
1 "C" rake pick
1 "L" rake pick
1 rake that's similar to an "S" rake pick
1 "sawtooth" rake
1 Tension wrench

One problem i tend to have is with smaller locks, my tension wrench takes up too much space in the lock, and sometimes the hook on the pick is too pronounced. It's not impossible in this case, but it takes me more time because i tend to accidentally lift pins that i didn't mean to...

I guess most stuff I practised on was regular sized locks, and door locks, so this problem I did not encounter much. The torsion bar I made as about an eighth of an inch wide. This was a peice of tempered spring steel found inside another device.

As for technique, i tend to use my fingers to move the pick in and out, as it gives me greater control. Also, instead of pushing the pick up, i tilt the back end down and it acts as a lever, also giving me more control of the pick.
Huh - I try to retain all control in my fingers - it is the sensitivity in your fingertips that can detect the pins sliding and catching. So, I am not sure letting the weight of the pick work with you is helping, it might push the pins too far or cause momentum that you have to compensate for - pressure on your fingertips. Keep the pick light in your hands - again you are trying to feel it all in your fingertips. I hold the torsion bar with one hand, and the pick is held like a pencil or scapel - the weight of the body of the pick is held by the web of the thumb and index finger.

What also helps is studying exploded views of locks so you have a mental picture in your head of what you are doing. I tend to use mental imagery to visualize the attack.

Lastly - if it works for you, then I can't complain much. If you watch videos on lockpicking - some people are very fast and rake the fuck out of the lock. I tend to be slower, but very direct and deliberate. Both work, mine might perhaps leave less toolmark evidence!

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

lykos
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by lykos »

Exploded views and visualizing mentally have also really helped me when picking locks. Keeping the picks light in the hand helps me to not push pins in too far and also helps me feel out the pins. If you are looking for a smaller tension wrench you can take a very small allen wrench and grind it down to make a home made one.

~[Lykos]~

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

the most important tools for me are the tension wrenches and the diamond pick....I have not even an idea what most of the other weird shaped picks in my set are for... :lol:
on very small locks I also sometimes have not real space because even my smallest wrench takes too much space...but as workaround it works fine for me to insert the pick first, lift a bolt with it to have more space, then insert the wrench and give tension instantly to keep the first bolt up already....much better than vice versa (first wrench then pick) imo.

also the form of the wrench can be important if you don't have much space, I have one with 2 angles, it's even bigger than the one with just 1 angle, but I simply have a better view into the lock with it....which you kinda need, expecially when dealing with very small locks imo, because you have to see how to move the tools without moving them against each other or even damaging them.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Gun and Knife show had the dental picks I suggested - $2 USD :lol:

My torsion bar did have an unusual angle, 90 degree bend, then a 22 twist - made it perfect for light pressure right tension.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.