Help Needed

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
marshey
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Help Needed

Post by marshey »

Im trying to make a online text based game using php, i have all the php scripts which i copied from another website which i will edit later but i was woundering if anyone new a free web hosting site which will let me make the game on? Ive tried lots of sites but some dont support php and others are way to complicated for me to understand how to do it.

marshey
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by marshey »

i found a free hosting website and i uploaded all the php files and when i clik to view them this comes up:
Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'lib/local_config.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php') in /www/freewebsitespace.net/m/a/r/marshey/htdocs/common.php on line 42

Anyone know how to fix it?

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

check your file permissions

marshey
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by marshey »

ive just tried clickin on permissions and it says: Script Error!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

access your files via FTP and set permission 777 for the local_config.php file there....if it still don't work post the error message.... :wink:

marshey
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by marshey »

Ok i logged into FTP and i list of the php files came up so i right clicked on them and clicked change permissions but i only come up saying something about read. write and execute. Can you please try and explain to me how to do this as im quite new to this website building. Below is screen shots to show whatt i tried.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8136/apk9.gif
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1029/bio8.gif

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

the numbers say the same as the text permissions:

read = 4
write = 2
execute = 1

if a file has read-, write- and execute-rights that's 4+2+1=7
read and execute is 4+1=5

as you have seen there are user, group and others which can use/access a file, so there are 3 digits:
754 would be:
user(owner) has read, write and execute permissions,
group has read and execute permissions,
and others only have read permission.

so when I said "give the file 777 permission" it meant give user, group and others full permissions (read,write and execute).... :wink:

marshey
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by marshey »

Ok ive changed the permissions for every php file to 777 and tried going on the website and this error still shows.

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'lib/local_config.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php') in /www/freewebsitespace.net/m/a/r/marshey/htdocs/common.php on line 42

Anymore ideas on what to do?

knightm4r3
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by knightm4r3 »

Just an FYI, www.ifastnet.com and www.phpnet.us are the best free hosting you can get IMO. Also, don't wanna sound harsh, but if you can figure out how o host your site, how do you plan to manage it?

marshey
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by marshey »

Its just im new to this php thing and im use to html which i thought they was similar but php seems alot more confusing. I think the thing thats making it most confusing is the fact that im using scripts i found on Google and not ones i made myself otherwize if i made them myself it would be easier to fix the problems. Im hoping it will be easier to manage the site than to host it like im trying to do now. I thought i fixed the problem i had which by looking at the error i relized i hadnt uploaded all the php files but now ive done that and made sure all the permissions for them are all 777 i tried going on the website but a different error come up which was...

Warning: require_once(lib/arrayutil.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/freewebsitespace.net/m/a/r/marshey/htdocs/common.php on line 79

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'lib/arrayutil.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php') in /www/freewebsitespace.net/m/a/r/marshey/htdocs/common.php on line 79

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmm...it's missing the file arrayutil.php, do you have uploaded it?
what game is it btw, are you sure you have all files?

marshey
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by marshey »

the game is Legend of the Green Dragon and i just had to search through the whole thing and upload all the missing ones and now it works. After all this ive decided i might start from the begining writing my own scripts for my own game as this one aint my type of game, i will probably use this one as a guide line for when writing certain parts of the scripts. Thank you for all your help

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I highly suggest that you don't reference others peoples source code, when you don't know about how well they code or anything of the sort. I learned 95% of php from php.net, the rest of it from the PHP coders that made HTS (i have been asked to help with making more hacking challenges for HTS as well).

PHP.net is your best bet.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

marshey
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by marshey »

ok thanx for the help