How can YOU become a Hacker.

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I am not an expert in hacking but I understand what DNR wanted to say. I also have some thing to say to that.

I have not come here to learn programing so that some day I can become a coder and make apps so that I can make some peoples lives a little bit easier. My presence here is an act of defiance against this world.

I have come here to learn about computers but from the perspective of a hacker. I am not interested in computers from a perspective of a program developer, admin, or any of that.

I have read that in some white hat hacker circles the meaning of the word hacker is some one who wants to become a security professional later in life. Well count me out because there is no way that is where I am heading.

I could be out there writing graffiti all night long but do not because that goes against my ethics. Here I am no better and just because I do computers does not mean that I am a good guy.

Today I may not be any ones problem but in a couple of years I am going to be a pain in the rear if I continue this way. That is what I aspire to and I am not going to stop until I reach my goal.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

question authority

Post by DNR »

You are right lye, hacking has to do more with the person at the keyboard than the machine it is connected to.

This forum is different from other hacking sites because we reconise that the hacker mindset can be anywhere. Hacking is an act of defiance because a good hacker thinks outside of the norm and breaks the rules.
I have exploited more than machines, I can quickly spot security flaws in 'policies and procedures', in buildings, and even in people. I went to my 10 year high school anniversary by walking in through the employee service entrance and saved $40 :wink: I am a hard target because I multitask many what-if scenarios, because I follow protocol and facts rather than emotion. I can spot an accident coming a mile away, I can spot a no-gooder and position myself in the best spot to deal with it.

lye, you are not looking to become a 'problem', but become a hard target.
A hard target is hard to exploit, to crack. I am a hard target in many respects, not just online, but at work, at home and out in public. Pity the fool that tries to attack me. IDS doesn't end at the console, you have the building and human beings to consider.

The ulimate hack is to be a useful, reliable, and effective tool. I am free to act in my own way, because I control my domain.
What is important though, is you can still be a black hat (criminal) or a white hat (not exactly legal angel, but just 'clean') as a person. I suggest you expand your schooling to include law, law enforcement, science, security administration, and even just plain general education. I also encourage you to parcipate in your community, make yourself useful in some way, even if just to a few people.

Becareful, as I was growing, I made mistakes by exploiting the wrong way, I have hurt people, I have been accused of criminal activities, I have burned bridges. I am still at risk, because I can even lose control due to the inherent hacker obsessive-compulsion.

I guess the proper term for us could be anarchist.

DNR

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

You are right! I do not want to be a problem but a hard target. If I wanted to be a problem than I would have gotten in some sort of trouble a long time ago. The fact that I have not yet is because I plan out stuff. If I write graffiti I only do it in the middle of the night. I take calculated risks.

I have not done any serious hacking online yet but that is not because I do not know how but because I have not yet build my self a secure and anonymous platform from where to hack. For me a proxy is not enough. I want to be even more secure and that is what I think makes me a hard target.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

I agree with a few thing most of you have said and am continuing from a thread i feel is linked to this so i will post the link first incse you havent got the whole picture

Code: Select all

http://www.suck-oold.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26284#26284

So why are these linked. I, for far too long, have been invisible in the system until i got caught for something scrupilous of me when i was younger in which i payed my due to society. I dont have a bank account as i feel that theres so much can be said of electronic tagging today ie where you use cash cards etc, how much you earn and how much you spend. Damn they even know what we eat from these transactions so that for one is a no no for me. Not only that but they charge to take your own money out here in the uk. if and when i pay tax i go away working the machines (in the post of the topic posted above) and then never gave my address either but tough as long as i payed the tax i see it dont matter where i live. I believe that we have to all be able to act and think fast on our feet and react to the situation we are in at the time. If you take a look at some of the things i have been involved in then people from each side of the spectrum would not probably believe it. I have kept each bit of my life i like to the people that are involved in that subject and that subject only. Why brag about ventures. I also had a name for myself in my youth but learnt the valuable lesson of being invisible. If you make yourself available you become an easy target. Being involved with different levels means i can network almost anything any where in this country and with places like suck-o the options can become globally. I dont like the fact that when i leave my house and go to town there is an avarage of 300 cameras watching my every movement. So it would be a game of cat and mouse everywhere we go, the motorway wherever, but as DNR said, we must be able to adapt to any situation, calmly and efficiently. Bit like telling the officer that you WAS wearing a seatbelt and not backing down even though he knows full well that you never but as there is only one officer present its not enough for a conviction if you can get it on intime before he pulls you :wink:

So to me this is where you have to look at the big picture and always be ready to change direction and be on guard.

And as lyc says, im also not confident enough to try on other servers etc so do most my testing over my own LAN as even using proxies is not always safe and im not convinced enough yet either.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

wrap your mind around this

Post by DNR »

I like where this thread is going.

Lets keep following along with the ideas, and examples brought about by c-thug and lye.
"Hard target, adapt,invisibility,calculated risks,calm, and efficent."
Unlike machines, we have the ability to adapt and modify ourselves.
That's the survival instinct in us, telling us to build our bodies and minds to be the best.
As far as our grey areas of activities, graffitti, stealing cars, revenge, reckless motor vehicle acts, its no different from the grey hat hacks you did online. I like to push the limits, I like to make a statement, and I got balls to get it done. :P
I too have been kicked out of school and in trouble with the law. But that don't make me a bad guy. I guarantee if the shit hits the fan, you want me by your side. Not only can I shoot my way out of trouble, but I'll do cpr on you to keep you alive until the emts arrive.
I get the feeling so can a few other members in here would be worthy in combat too :wink:

How to be a hacker? There is no way, you either are, or aren't.

DNR

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

I also like where this thread is going and reading this post since it has gone this direction has made my body tingle. The feeling of excitement runs through my body just reading as i know where you are coming from. Both of you in your own minds know who you are and what direction you are taking. I would love to share with you guys just exactly who i have been and involved with although if i do i would only be incriminating myselfand others for past offences. I believe in being the best you can at whatever it is you want to acheive and i reached way above my own goals. I have friends from all walks of life and can interact with any of them on whatever level they are on. Not all of them are hooligans, bank robbers etc lol. I have changed my appearance so many times over the last few years, you wouldnt believe it and i dont mean plastic surgery. I am 5ft 8 and only 10st and you would never guess i mixed with such people. I can put a few pounds on shave my head and look like a real thug/hooligan (hence where i thought the name for my id)and then can also don a suit and tie, lose the weight, grow some hair and put some spectacles on and im then having dinner with the high and mighty as i call them (business men, civil cervants etc) and i wouldnt be out of place either. I have learned things from all these people from which ever part of society you reside on, whether it people from the streets which taught me the reallities of life or the civil servants that have taught me how to hide money through companies etc. I also know that what i was doing was wrong at the time but it wasnt that bad. I do have morels and i also think that i may have been left alone for other resons. Where i come from im a big believer in vigilantyism so if you want to come to my neighbour hood and destroy it i will come down on you like a ton of bricks and you wont ever know it was me. So i also believe that sometimes i took care of problems the police couldnt take care of. I will also say this before i conclude. I would never change any of my life and am proud of who i am what i have achieved already. I am now ready to face the world in reality and join society and make it part of my life as a whole. I am 34 and have a family so the risks have become higher and so have the stakes but i felt it was time to call things a day before i pushed my luck. Now my name, address, phone number is there for all to see. Im here again is now my statement Until something more of a challenge comes along :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

i will also add and baron can confirm as i have needed some advice on this one, that i have had a passport with a different date of birth on it (down to human error) not a fake one, i loved this as it gave me a clean bill of health so to speak =P.

i also have three surnames names due to the fact i was adopted at birth then fostered then through marraige of the family my mother married into, and i am changing it again for a final time as when i get married i will be using her last name not mine :D

maybe i just like the cat and mouse approach to not being a civilized robot of society: work - eat - sleep. I play hard, very hard but i also work damn hard too. As i said times change and we must adapt to the surroundings we in which is maybe why this topic is making me shiver, bringing back old emotions and habits. Man i had some balls. Most hardened people that i know said i scared them, and this wasnt physically of course, so it must have been the amount of mental pressure i was prepared to take to get jobs done. But there again these people would never understand that i did theatre shows in my spare time XD which is part of the reason i can act, interact, and am able to go the ways i have done.

And yes Dnr as yourself notice the people i would like to be backing me up when needed and think im a good judge of character when it comes to these kind of things as you have to...its your life at the end of the day, but i also like to have some people close that wouldnt maybe go as far as say some of us would, as tou know they would be the first to run, but i never judge these people for this, as this comes into our own adaptations for instance, theres trouble, theres five of you and 6 of them.....asses who you want and get the others to leave, they get in the way, If you have a good strong 3 rather than a half 5 its a stronger option. also these can become a hinderance rather than a help and this way we dont expect anything of them that they cant deliver( a bit like me helping code a project in c++ where the only thing i could possibly do would be "hello world" :D)...but they might be helpfull in other ways so i would say i assess - adapt - react.

lyec i also like your views on what you want and the way you are going about it, you seem to know the direction you want to go in, whichever way be the best you can at what you want. We have a saying here "Be good and if you cant be good, be carefull"

Hope this hasnt gone off topic a bit

i am going to find my id after and show how much i can change .XD
even the police dont think its me when i provide them hehehehe

:wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

camoflage

Post by DNR »

c-thug, if you spend half the time you spend running around the 'hood and knocking down fights - on a computer, you would learn enough to be close to elite :P

DNR

Darryn

Post by Darryn »

Thats great mate. Blunt and straight to the point and always pointing out about the consequences of a persons own action. Its hard to find people that writes articles that are intellectual and impartial but understandable for newbies like me. Thanks again!

linker71

Post by linker71 »

So if I understood it right,

1- Decide what I want, and make a decision on where to start.

2- Find all the possible literature on that topic, and read read and read...

3- Start applying the knowledge.

I am interested in penentrating my friends computer, but I whant to accomplish it without the help of too many tools, simply copy some files from his computer to mine, where do I start?

You said something like "Experiment first with another pc in you home, with a Linux OS", why Linux? Wouldnt that confuse me? What are the advantage of learning to use Linux?

I hope its ok to ask these questions...

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

a welcome, a recap, and knowledge

Post by DNR »

hey link, welcome.

lets recap;

1. decide what you want - you might like hardware more than software, some people are network techs but not coders, or vice versa.

2. Read, read, After you pick a OS or topic to start with, become knowledgable on it - not just reading articles, but actually looking at the dry technical data. You also want to try to include hands-on learning - as that is better than being 'book-smart'.

3. Applying the knowledge - you could get a job in the IT/CIS field, you could just make it a 'hobby' and just build your own network. You can take the ideology behind computer hacking, and hack your life too.

Now, lets take your project of learning to 'take a file' from your friend's computer. First, using the same rules above - "decide" means identify, so you need to identify your friend's computer's operating system (OS). After you gain basic knowledge of the OS, you search for techniques or exploits for that OS. You might at first try to 'attack' your friend's computer physically - if you can slip in a disk or USB stick you are already 80% done with exploiting that box. You can try tools for this on your own box, and then apply that knowledge to your friend's box.. Back in the old days that meant I would attack computers on display at stores, libraries, school computer labs.
The other methods will require your friend to participate, like by clicking on a malicious link or file. Your friend can also have AVP and firewalls running, thats another variable - it could be outdated, turned off, or set too weak. Your friend's participation should also include having you present at his console when he 'triggers' the link or file - so you can learn from alerts and responses by his AVP/firewall.

As far as the linux comment, this is a predominantly linux forum. I use windows because many other people do too. Linux might be 'more stable' or use less memory, but I work just fine with windows. Using windows - or linux - neither is secure if you don't understand it.
I would start by learning windows - if thats the OS you want to learn to hack.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

linker71

Post by linker71 »

Thanks for the quick reply,
How should I say this best... you see I was always fasinated with the idea of beeing a "Hacker", not really understanding what it ment. I have been trying to improve my computer skills in different ways, reading, studying, and trying to apply the skills, but it seems always frustrating.

I can handle XP operating system quite well, and can do most of the stuf y want, but when it comes to other things, such as coding, programing, networking etc, I get weak. I have tried to search on these topics, and read articles on them, but it seems to me always so complicated explained, and hard to understand. Why cant there be a simply put article on these things, without abreviations and expected knowledge. It says "For Neewbies", but after reading a few pages I get lost, and have to read again and again to understand something.
Ofcourse throughout the time I have learned some basic knowlege, but I feel to unsecure of too many things, and I want to learn more, but I progress very slow.

suck-o.com is different, you guys take time to explain complicated stuff and put it simple, and I find it great.

I want to ask you if you know any good e-book, or article on the points mentioned above, such as coding, programing and network. I know they are a lot of books, and thats why I need a good advice. I thought more to hack my computers friend to impress him, but I dont just whant to run a tool and click "search" "Penentrate" and I got all I need, I whant to know how it all works, and be able to do it myself.

I would really apreciate any good advice on where to start.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

suck-o is unusual

Post by DNR »

Link,
You are right this is a unusual forum. The hackers in here range from coders, sysadmins, network techs, and other educational backgrounds. Not everyone has employment with a IT/CIS company, not everyone was college-schooled.

I know where your frustration lies.
You think it is in a book, in the next youtube video, or maybe the next line of code. It is really inside you, it is a combination of personality type, intelligence, character, and even environmental. What makes a hacker so 'glorious'? You have met great ones and probably didn't know it then - Albert Einstein, Steven Hawkings, Bill Gates, Linus Torovald, and even obscure but wise people like my crime lab professor, and maybe a few writers here..

Don't put a time limit on your growth. While you are too busy worried about a deadline, you miss learning from your present experience.

Just accept who you are and get on with life. Your employment and career should be stable and secure, you should think about getting married, having kids. Your life is more than a few lines of code.

But, you can still hack. By learning your hacking mindset you can hack anything. My good computer study habits now means that I can study anything else and hack it. Every job I have had I was always the #1, top-dog - but I also broke rules everywhere I went. Thats the process of learning to hack myself. I have an obsessive-compulsion to hack, and it can get me into trouble if I don't understand my behavior and try to control it.

Hmm e-books, we have them all :lol: Check the download section Textfiles and go check out flyninja.com. You never can read enough...

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

linker71

Post by linker71 »

If I understood well, you are telling me there is no, "Secret Book of Knowledge", where all hidden secrests, and techinques are written.
You know I somehow knew it already, they is no shortcuts in life, you must take the same path as everybody did, it depens on your determination how succesful you are, but even so its hard to accept it.

I guess I will start studying harder, starting with HTML, and then some networking for the beggining, and later programming.

However one question I still have, where can I get a tutorial on a DOS attack, I whant to attack my friend in that way. And also, is their any risk that my internet provider, or any other outside people catch me while I perform such a attack?
Thanks in advance

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

linker71 wrote:If I understood well, you are telling me there is no, "Secret Book of Knowledge", where all hidden secrests, and techinques are written.
You know I somehow knew it already, they is no shortcuts in life, you must take the same path as everybody did, it depens on your determination how succesful you are, but even so its hard to accept it.

I guess I will start studying harder, starting with HTML, and then some networking for the beggining, and later programming.

However one question I still have, where can I get a tutorial on a DOS attack, I whant to attack my friend in that way. And also, is their any risk that my internet provider, or any other outside people catch me while I perform such a attack?
Thanks in advance

I loved what you were saying, until you mentioned that you wanted to DoS your friend....i kinda lost hope there ^^.

I guess this is as close you can get to a 'tutorial' when it comes to DoS and DDoS ^^ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial_of_service

And yes, you can get caught =) Imagine standing outside someones house, and then throw rocks at the door, until the door is filled with rocks so no one can enter, imagine what the person would do that lives in the house. I mean, they would notice you. DoS is kinda the same, if you throw a bunch of shit at someones machine and they have some brains, they'll notice it. Well short version is that you make a service unavailable, guess you will simply have to read up on that ^^
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

somebody needs to get schooled

Post by DNR »

dude.
:roll:
Two words that do not go together- friend and DOS

(I know DOS = denial of Service - three words )

look you want to either cultivate yourself - educate and share with like-minded people.

ya don't want to fuck with people.

You are right on the line, the edge.

choose the blue pill or the red pill, get schooled, or fade away..

DNR

Don't worry you are still welcome here :wink:
-