Creating Some Practise

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
gspott43
forum buddy
forum buddy

Creating Some Practise

Post by gspott43 »

Hi There, Im completely new to this whole thing and i was wondering what would be the best way of practicing, seeing as everyone knows that practice is the best way to learn anything :)

So in other posts i have read the recommendation of getting a second pc and connecting this up in a network and using this as your practice pc.
But i was wondering if I could get the same out of a VM (Virtual Machine) ?

How would i go about setting up a good network to practice on with a VM?

thanks

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

VMware is a good appliance for virtual machines on a windows machine

my motto is 'just do it and repeat' not practice makes perfect because if practice makes perfect and nobody and nothing is perfect, then why practice?

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

CircuitB0mB wrote:VMware is a good appliance for virtual machines on a windows machine

my motto is 'just do it and repeat' not practice makes perfect because if practice makes perfect and nobody and nothing is perfect, then why practice?
Nice motto. And setting up a box to test everything is always good, the box can be unpatched so you can learn exploiting, shell coding and assembly and dangerous stuff like that , that wouldnt normally be preformed on a normal machine. Buying a new machine cost money, but I say its worth it. Just get something cheap, e.g. check amazon or ebay. :wink: I think a real machine will allow you not only to test something such as an exploit, but teach you how to work your way around the registery and fix problems viruses or exploits may have allocated with your memory or registery. :wink:

gspott43
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by gspott43 »

CircuitB0mB wrote:my motto is 'just do it and repeat' not practice makes perfect because if practice makes perfect and nobody and nothing is perfect, then why practice?
lol, i knew someone was gonna mention that one! :D

I'm kinda low on cash right now, so a VM is my only option at the moment.
But im sure u can learn one or two basic things off it, right?

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

gspott43 wrote:
CircuitB0mB wrote:my motto is 'just do it and repeat' not practice makes perfect because if practice makes perfect and nobody and nothing is perfect, then why practice?
lol, i knew someone was gonna mention that one! :D

I'm kinda low on cash right now, so a VM is my only option at the moment.
But im sure u can learn one or two basic things off it, right?
yea, its still useful, and of course you can learn from it! :lol: Personally I use my everyday computer to test things, it wasnt very too good on my case, but then I finally got a new compy so everything is alright. But yougotta do what you gotta do. :wink:

gspott43
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by gspott43 »

Ok so now for a n00b Q, How do I hack it?

nah just joking :lol:

but what should i go about doing first just to introduce myself? (trojans, exploits, some DOS based hacking)

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

gspott43 wrote:Ok so now for a n00b Q, How do I hack it?

nah just joking :lol:

but what should i go about doing first just to introduce myself? (trojans, exploits, some DOS based hacking)
I recommend learning how to program and learning more about the OS (Operating System) you run. Then start to try to learn how to remotely attack the VM. DoS (Denial of Services), exploiting, packet editing, scanning, the whole list. Try all that you can get your hands on. If you wish to try to use trojans you need extensive research on how to clean the system from them. :wink:

gspott43
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by gspott43 »

Ok, thanks, but if I was to infect my VM with a trojan server, and run the client off my real OS....wudnt it only affect my VM and when I am done I can just delete it?

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

gspott43 wrote:Ok, thanks, but if I was to infect my VM with a trojan server, and run the client off my real OS....wudnt it only affect my VM and when I am done I can just delete it?
Well that depends, I myself dont know much of VM. But most likely, it may cause some serious damage and you might destroy some things needed and have a bit few headaches, but anything can be removed unless it's a rootkit or something. :wink: