networked computers ip

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

networked computers ip

Post by visser »

hey so. i would search for the answer to this but i have no idea what to search for. and i dont remember seeing this before.

i have multiple computers. they are all connected through a linksys cable modem router combo. (the modem and the router are one in the same) when i go to whatismyip.com on any of the comps they alol have the same ip adress. however when i use the ipconfig via the cmd they all have different ip adress's. the first few numbers are the same. but only the last one changes.

wanted help on three things

1what this is called na why its there

2 how does this affect trying to hack one of the pc's via one of the other pc's

3 what ip adress should i scan?

any help would be very apreciated!!

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

There are two things called LAN (Local Area Network) and WAN (Wide Area Network. The LAN is your home network and the WAN is the internet, the router basicly seperates two networks from eachother (LAN and WAN).

Since your router is your Gateway to the WAN it needs an address, this is your external address that your ISP (internet service provider) gives you, the address that you can find on www.whatismyip.com

Since the LAN is a network of its own all the nodes (machines) inside it needs own addresses to be able to identify each other. Also a computer network card has 2 addresses, it's one logical, for example 192.168.0.43 and one physical address called "MAC" which can look like this 00-01-03-25-12-11 and is a uniqe address for ALL network cards, meaning that it always stays the same and all cards has different ones.

When someone is sending you information on the net (WAN) they can only see your WAN address (www.whatismyip.com). But the packets (info) that they are sending you contains both your external address AND your MAC address, the external address is used by all the nodes on the WAN so that the packet is directed to you and delivered. And the MAC address is used by your Broadband router to direct the packet to your computer in the LAN.

phew...think thats enough =| hope it explains it....
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Re: networked computers ip

Post by ebrizzlez »

visser wrote:hey so. i would search for the answer to this but i have no idea what to search for. and i dont remember seeing this before.

i have multiple computers. they are all connected through a linksys cable modem router combo. (the modem and the router are one in the same) when i go to whatismyip.com on any of the comps they alol have the same ip adress. however when i use the ipconfig via the cmd they all have different ip adress's. the first few numbers are the same. but only the last one changes.

wanted help on three things

1what this is called na why its there

2 how does this affect trying to hack one of the pc's via one of the other pc's

3 what ip adress should i scan?

any help would be very apreciated!!
Well to start thats called dynamic IP. Its when your IP changes. Routers require bigger and more people so they mainly contain dynamic IPs because they require constant changes to append the user with acess. Dynamic IP's make it harder to trace a hacker, but when your IP changes can be a different times depending on your ISP. :wink:
[edit] What Neo said. :wink:

visser

Post by visser »

thank you very much. that helped a bunch. specially you neo. htat made perftect sense!