Network Related Issue.

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Network Related Issue.

Post by Big-E »

I am not very sure if this should go here, so to be safe I put it in Newbie board rather than 'General Computing'. However, my issue is rather hard to explain, perhaps newbish to you.

Okay, I work for some non-profit organisation as an assistant IT manager, and well...there has been a few IT managers here which result in the network being a catastrophe to say the least. This is basically how the network is set up:

Internet --> Modem --> Router --> The router is connected to three offices, and another switch --> Switch is connected to two servers, another switch, four other computers - I think one is actually a printer and another router.

Switch --> Lab Computers and Another Router --> Router is wireless running to an office across to another building.

Router --> Wired to three computers (which get an address without DHCP enabled) and one connected wireless downstairs which does not get an IP address with DHCP disabled, except there is a strange thing which occurs. If you plug in the router backwards (in the wrong port) is only when the Wired computers get the IP address, they will not get it any other way but if you try both ways with the wireless, still no luck.

Also recently with the other wireless router I disabled DHCP and everything behind it quit working...they should be attaining the IP address from the DHCP server, but alas the server does not see anything behind these two routers which is confusing me..but perhaps is only a small issue.

If you need any clarification with regards to this, please let me know..Its rather hard to explain..perhaps if need be I can photoshop it. Any help would be greatly appriciated. :)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

um, let's see if I got it right:

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Well, I would be dammned, you have it pretty much perfect...aside from one mistake..the Router 1 is also provides WLAN to a node downstairs..it's perfect. So there you have it, a diagram of how it's set up. I seemed to have fixed the connection going from WLAN Router to the buildings across the street and the other ones connected via LAN by setting the router to a static IP, putting it in the same subnet and assigning that IP to the router on the DHCP server. I figure that because it was on different subnets that was causing most of the issues, but figured I should assign it an IP anyway because a network printer is also connected to this router and has a static IP also.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ok....I'll need a little to figure out the best architecture for this network, so please have a little patience... :wink: