NTLDR is missing

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
pwpw

NTLDR is missing

Post by pwpw »

recently I been messing around with my hard disk :roll: and now this error show up whenever I connect it...
Is there any easy step to step guide? which can guide me to fix this problem? I'm a slow learner.. as easy as possible :cry:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

don´t panic... :wink:

-boot from the XP CD

-start the recovery console

-enter the following commands:

Code: Select all

FIXMBR C:

FIXBOOT C:

COPY x:\I386\NTLDR C:\

COPY x:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
replace "x" with the letter of your CD/DVD drive!
replace "C" if your system is located on another drive!

that´s it! :wink:

pwpw

Post by pwpw »

Sry for all this trouble but is there much more easier explaination for it? I'm a hyper newb... :oops: This is a 400GB don't wish to make any stupid mistake and spoil it for nth...
But thx bad brain for your kind help if there isn't any easier ones I'll try to figure it out of what you said. :idea:
And this is a drive letter C:\ right now there is also one more hard drive which is also drive letter C:\ OMG!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

sorry man, but I don´t think there´s an easier method if you want to keep the data on the HDD. you could do a normal install, but of course the data will be lost then. you can try to repair the installation, boot from the XP CD and chose "repair" instead of new installation when you´re asked for it, but this would take much longer than the first method.

your problem is caused by a damaged boot sector, by doing what I´ve said in the first post you fix the boot sector and copy NTLDR from the CD to the HDD. it´s really not hard, just follow it step by step, this would also fix the problem of your "double C"-partition if it really exists, normally the drive letters are given automatically so there can´t be 2 partitions with the same letter.
and don´t worry, the badest thing that could happen is that you have to format the HDD and do a new XP install, you can´t damage the drive physically just by entering a wrong command.

just do it step by step:

- place the XP CD in the CD/DVD-drive

- while booting press "del" to enter BIOS (maybe F1, it´s announced on the screen)

- look where you can change the "boot sequence", set it to CDROM first, second C..

- save the settings and leave BIOS

- the system will boot from the CD now, you´ll be asked what you want to do, chose to enter the "recovery console"

- now you enter the commands from the first post, if you´re not sure what´s the letter of the CD/DVD-drive start with "D", if you get an error try "E" and so on until it loads the files from the XP CD.

- it should boot properly then

- if it works enter BIOS again at the next reboot and set the boot sequence back to C first.... :wink:

pwpw

Post by pwpw »

THX ALOT... duh I never really use ur method.
I deleted every partition lol...
1 hard drive got NTDLR problem the other got whole lot of virus MY COMPUTER IS IN A MESS.
So I guess losing everything to make my computer back to brand new :cry: But I guess it is worth it

pwpw

Post by pwpw »

I got another question...
How do I change my system drive?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, it´s better to do a fresh setup sometimes than spending hours with fixing it. :wink:

um,what you mean? change the drive letter? :?:

pwpw

Post by pwpw »

System drive...
the drive is the system. a drive which letter cannot be change.
in Computer management>Disk management

I wanna change the system to another drive. Instead of my current setting

PLeXroD
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by PLeXroD »

but i dont get it why would you like to change youre drive letter?...

you drive letter is "C:\" right?......or?
-Never try to be uncommon, instead of that only realize it's you that is common...-

-In grater common sence Linux is better than MS Windows-

-Never try to hack platform, instead of that, only make security and teach other to do that to-

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

uh-oh....well,I guess it can be done with diskmgmt, but when you change the drive letter all paths would be wrong, could be you kill your system by doing it.... :?

PLeXroD

Post by PLeXroD »

yeah i think so too :o ... i did it once and it was not good it did something to my computers software so i needed to re-install the windows again :? ... and well it was no problem doin' it but it was pretty annoying :evil: ... :wink:
-Never try to be uncommon, instead of that only realize it's you that is common...-

-Never try to hack platform, instead of that, only make security and teach other to do that to-

pwpw

Post by pwpw »

hmm... I think that you all miss understood of what i said. Maybe cauz of my bad english SRY.

I have 3 drives right now.
C:\ D:\ E:\

And now my SYSTEM drive is E:\ but I don't want my E:\ drive to be the system drive I wish the C:\ to be the system drive.
(But i got no idea of how to do it)

And BOOTABLE drive is C:\ right now.. But i think that there is a way to make them together in 1 drive which is C:\

PLeXroD

Post by PLeXroD »

allright... now im a bit confused are telling me that your drive E:\ is the where win xp is booted in? 8O (installed) ROFL hehe.... funny but i think you did make a mistake by installing it in the wrong drive cause actually your drive c:\ is the 1. IDE MASTER harddisk and D:\ is the 1. IDE SLAVE ... and then E:\ is the 2. IDE MASTER or du you got SATA HD cause if you got a sata disk in it there, than there can be alot of problems doin it and i dont recomend that you change the drive into a drive C: instead of drive E: i only recomend that you wait until that you will have to re-install the xp in the future... :wink:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ah,ok....
I think it´s 3 partitions on 1 HDD, Plexrod.

well, you can try to delete C and D, so THEORETICALLY the actual E partition will turn automatically to C because it´s the only one. you can do this in diskmgmt.msc by erasing the volumes. after the next boot it should be recognized as C and then you can setup the other partitions again.

but BEWARE! I don´t guarantee that it works, maybe you lose all your data, so it´s inevitable to do a backup. and as Plexrod said, maybe you should wait until the next XP install. or you save your important data and do a new install now, due to your damaged system it would be the best in my opinion, because even if it works you´ll experience problems with broken links for sure.

:wink:

pwpw

Post by pwpw »

ok.. thanks alot both of you for a great help!
I got a SATA drive and it really is a big problem :cry:
can't select slave or master lol.