Issues running dl'd progz

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
CockWaffle
forum buddy
forum buddy

Issues running dl'd progz

Post by CockWaffle »

Is there a specific way to decompress the program downloads...i must be missing something because each time i try to run a downloaded program ie netdevil it tells me that i do not have the appropriate permissions to use the file...its really driving me nuts and i feel stupid for asking..but HELPZ!!!!!!!!!!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

what OS are you using? XP or Vista? tried it with disabled antivirus app already?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Win32.Netdevil

Post by DNR »

net devil is a few things, it could be this too:
Also Known As: Win32.Netdevil
Discovered: February 13, 2002
Updated: February 13, 2007 11:47:40 AM
Type: Trojan Horse
Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows XP

Backdoor.NetDevil allows a hacker to remotely control an infected computer.

Possible system changes
If the Trojan ran and a hacker executed files on the computer, it may be difficult to determine exactly what was done, even after you remove the Trojan. If you are familiar with your operating system and how to use system repair or system checking tools, we suggest that you fully check the system for any of these modifications and undo them. Otherwise, consider reinstalling Windows.
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

he means the RAT from our downloads.... :wink: a few other users had the same problem before already, I think it was all in context with antivirus software that blocked the execution of the files because some AV apps can not be shut down completely by the user (Kaspersky for example can, Norton can't).... :-k

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

yea

Post by DNR »

exactly, I meant that, but in a obfuscated kind of way :roll:
:wink:
i must be missing something because each time i try to run a downloaded program ie netdevil it tells me that i do not have the appropriate permissions to use the file...
"it" is meaning 'some software on my computer'

What he is missing is the permission/authority to run the detected malware. At least shut off the AVP program, reboot and try again.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

CockWaffle
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by CockWaffle »

i'm running on xp with AVG free...but its completely disabled...i also tried to download beast...its not too big of a deal i just figured it would be fun to mess around with the computers on this network i set up...i've got all kinds of apps to determine passwords and encrypted information blah blah blah...but i just wanted to try some of these RATs out just to see what the hype was about...any suggestions on a decent program for just plain messing around

CockWaffle
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by CockWaffle »

maybe i'm just not doing something right...most of these files should be as simple as downloading the zip, extracting and running the app right?

CockWaffle
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by CockWaffle »

so i'm pretty damn stupid...i figured it out...thanks for the help guys, i decided to look at the windows security center screen and noticed that avg refused to turn off...so i just uninstalled...theres soo much good stuff on this page i'm glad i found it

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

learning experience

Post by DNR »

you did good. Now you know why its hard to 'infect' someone with a known RAT :wink:

Cain&Able is another decent windows cracker.

After you DL and extract your proggies, reinstall the AVP, this time chosing carefully - giving permissions for the files to co-exists with the AVP.
Try Comodo, AVP and firewall...

DNR
-

CockWaffle
forum buddy
forum buddy

Re: learning experience

Post by CockWaffle »

DNR wrote:you did good. Now you know why its hard to 'infect' someone with a known RAT :wink:

Cain&Able is another decent windows cracker.

After you DL and extract your proggies, reinstall the AVP, this time chosing carefully - giving permissions for the files to co-exists with the AVP.
Try Comodo, AVP and firewall...

DNR

I love C&A...its such a beast...great tool...makes everything so easy

As for the AVP i'm not even going to bother with reinstalling my AVP yet. I am waiting for a new HD to come in so i can dual boot windows and ubuntu...i've got everything all backed up...just waiting on the UPS man..

thanks again for the help