Cleaning HD? Burn to dvd? cd?

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
Losing_grip
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Cleaning HD? Burn to dvd? cd?

Post by Losing_grip »

Ok guys , im planning to save some HD spaces , i have many unused program such as old pictures , conversations , screenshots old program etc.
Im thinkin' to .rar it then burn it into DVD. and keep it safe. :D

SO whatcha think guys? or should i just put it all in external HD?

do dvd mess up easily with minor scratches? cuz im going to put pictures.
aww im going to keep the dvd in cd case and put it into my vault so i dont think its going to mess up? hmm? :lol:

thanks

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, DVDs are sensitive, so an external HDD would be the better choice...but HDDs crash too sometimes. I store my important backups on DVDs, but I use only the good Verbatim ones with "hard coat protection" and ALWAYS keep them in the jewel case in a dark drawer....of course those DVDs are not the cheapest ones, but it's worth it.... :wink:

Losing_grip

Post by Losing_grip »

I see , so should i go for branded DVD? Sony? Imation? Ok Verbatim then. It's not going to make this as my backup, im planning to store like 2001 pictures compilation in a dvd and delete the 2001 picture compilation in my Computer.

Aha , i get your point. As long as the dvd is untouchable its good.

Btw, is it much better to .zip/.rar files before burning it? or not?
Does it says if its 'Hard Coat Protection' when u purchase? o_O never mind , im just going to ask the sales lady :lol:

Thanks B_B

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I wouldn't pack the files before burning, sometimes (rarely but it happens) files become corrupt...and yes, it explicitly says "hard coat protection" on the cover, if you want to go real high-end you can even pick the best ones from Verbatim named "storage". imo Verbatim is the most reliable manufacturer, 20 years ago I used their 5 1/2 inch floppies for my C64 already and never had any problems yet... :wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

hoowha

Post by DNR »

Don't rely on just one copy and one medium, do both the HD and the DVD-RW. I have several removeable HDs, ZIP disk (and only one computer to use the ZIP drive!!) and CD-RW. I plan to copy a few to flash drive USB sticks :P

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.