What & where exactly is the windows kernel

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

What & where exactly is the windows kernel

Post by Still_Learning »

I have looked at wiki, google, other forums, ect.. no one seems to have an answer for this. Seems like a simple question maybe i am wrong..

What and where exactly is the windows kernel, would MS-DOS be considered the windows kernal?.. the command prompt? a combination of autoexec.bat, command.com, msconfig, ect.. ?? .DLL files are kernel??

please help me understand what exactly the windows kernal is! It will help me with the full overall understanding of what a linux kernal is or a kernel for any system if i can relate it to something i know like windows. thanks

please dont drop a wiki link or something ive allready read them all , i just need this simple question answered PLZ!!
thanks!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

it's not that simple, best take a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Kernel

:wink:

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Op systems are quite complex really. I don't know how to explain it in just a few words. Think of the kernel as the core allowing nothing inside it directly.

The link B_B gave is a good start.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

G-Brain

Post by G-Brain »

Google define:kernel

In computing, the kernel is the central component of most computer operating systems (OSs). Its responsibilities include managing the system's resources and the communication between hardware and software components.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

WIN Kernel is found:

Alrighty, let's get some terms and whatnot out of the way. The Boot Screen image, is actually a resource located in the Windows kernel file ntoskrnl.exe. Now comes the complicated part, there are 4 unique kernel files that Windows uses:

* ntoskrnl.exe - Windows Single Processor Kernel
* ntkrnlmp.exe - Windows Multi Processor Kernel
* ntkrnlpa.exe - Windows Single Processor Kernel with more then 3 GB of RAM
* ntkrpamp.exe - Windows Multi Processor Kernel with more then 3 GB of RAM

MS-DOS is NOT the windows kernel, but a shell lol

WOW.. amazing research
this is what i have been looking for, that is the windows kernel, i am sure someone could have replied easy to this question but did not.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/51/

never heard of this file until today, kernel is important.

I hope this peice of info helps somebody , it sure made alot of sense to me

Google define:kernel

In computing, the kernel is the central component of most computer operating systems (OSs). Its responsibilities include managing the system's resources and the communication between hardware and software components., that google link does not goto anywhere important, I think I am starting to understand it better by being in the mix. Havent done anything wrong but learning is good.

Please drop what you can, i am white hat hacker , just trying to learn, but never a snitch, mail me, i just want to learn , call me grey , black , white, whatever

*never have given info to anybody about anything, all sites**

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

True some one could have responded but where do they begin, or at what level?

My take on "Mankind and the Kernel"

The computer has evolved from switches.You take a transistor and play with it for a period of time until you invent a logic gate. Cool but, next you take that logic gate [AND, OR, NAND, NOT, XOR, etc.] then again play with them until you invent the Flip Flop, and learn to add numbers in base 2. FLip Flops are in turn experimented with until memory is born.

Among theses discovery's you begging learning about registers, stack pointers, parallel to serial converters, clocking and other shit i wont mention yet. Once all this is invented you start programs (in binary) using punch cards that make lights turn on or off depending on a logical process. You will do this until a driver is written that displays a character on the monitor and at the same time a keyboard driver also made. You learn that you need something, a interrupt; because "interrupts are important."

You see if I wrote a driver for the Monitor and did not keep you out of my memory that I allocated for the monitor then...

...BOOM my computer would die. [ drama sentience there 8O sorry] The same goes for the keyboard, or even worse, all the nifty new stuff you can plug into the home computer. The kernel was invented to keep people out and only Microsoft in. Even a low level driver needs to borrow resources from a Windows kernel.

Now man is starting to learn what a kernel is for. Kernels keep "A. YOU" the user or "B. The Programmer" out of systems real running time and space. This is why Windows likes it when you program using its already installed objects. You can barrow the code and make your own for ease of discussion. they are called .dlls or API's etc.

Sure you can try to overwrite the stack but for now the kernel will keep you out until you learn about the transistor.
:wink:
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ