Question about IP / port scanning

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Question about IP / port scanning

Post by Still_Learning »

What do you recommend to use for IP range scanning?

Back in the days I could just wardial with *67, first being anonymous but i know things are alot diffrent now. Is wardialing simular to IP range scanning now a days?

Is proxys the new *67?

I would like to try my first attempt at scanning some local IP ranges but dont want to get booted off my isp or get into trouble. Just a simple scan not trying to do anything other then scan. If I find something cool then i move on to the port scan on that IP? what is good for port scanning?

sorry for the noob questions, im trying to get updated on all the new stuff, thanks

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Search for nmap, but don't go scanning shit..it`s the equivalent of going through a parking lot looking for an unlocked car. Use your own network, with permission.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

ahh nice.. I now have nmap , heard storys about it but never actully used it until today.. good tutorial incase anybody else cares..

https://www.security-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=7872

I see Nmap can scan the IP of my choice to get important information, can it also scan ranges? like say I want to scan ip range 65.24.128.xxx out of curiosity, just to see what is on the last 255 #'s of the IP range. Will nmap create a log of what it find, dead ip #'s to good ones and what is on that ip #? or is there another program that will do that?

say i want to test scan my router range for practice, what command would i use?

trying to learn the basics first, also whats the diffrence between Nmap and Amap? thanks Big-E!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

the difference between amap and nmap are only the fingerprinting techniques.. :wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

scan tips

Post by DNR »

I usually drill down networks of interesting IPs I come across in the email or news, esp. if it was a edu, foreign, or mil IP. Sometimes I will drill down the IPs that hit my firewall - it could be a infected computer.

Once you lock on to an IP and get thier IP range, you map out the entire network. Of course there are programs that will make a graphical display of the network layout (can't find a good free one) you can 'see' the layout in your head, the web server, the DB server, mail server, clients, and if your are lucky 'test' server - where they try out new apps or patches.

Schools and even mil - they name their servers cool sounding names, that make you wonder what they are for (so scan for open ports!) names like romulus.xxx.mil , tycho.xxxx.mil, thunder.xxx.mil etc

just like the others said though, its like you are going through a parking lot, lifting on the handles of the cars trying to find an unlocked one. It can be spotted, you can be chased down, and even punished - even though you would say "but hey! I was only going to find a unlocked car - but not doing anything to it!"

I did loads of scans- before they enacted the Federal laws that made unauthorized access to a computer or network a five-year felony. Now days, I tend to keep quite.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I am a complete n00b, is there anyway I can please get a very basic ip range scan command for nmap and i will work on it from there? I just want to perform a simple iprange scan, im not scanning anything illegally. I figured out how to scan 1 of the computers on my network, but want to scan the whole range now.

nmap -range 196.182.2.1 - 196.182.2.255? (scan my own router areas?)

I have no idea, thank you in advance for the knowledge, you learn something new everyday. This question may sound stupid to some but will really help me out. I will be answering others stupid questions soon also I am sure. Karma.

Thank you all for your guidance and info

also; Bad Brain, what is foot printing? it sounds like i would like to have no footprints at all, ninja style, can you please explain in laymans terms what footprinting is? It sounds like something i would not want to be anonymous. So Nmap is better then AmaP? I really do appriciate all the help, and as i learn i wil lbe sure to answer the "noob" questions just like how your helping me out.. thank you!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

it's "fingerprinting"... :wink:
fingerprinting is a technique where forged data packets are sent and the reply is used to identify what operation system or what service/service version is running on a computer...in nmap it's the -A switch for example.
the "light version" of fingerprinting is banner grabbing, but it's not very reliable because banners can be edited easily by the server admin....fingerprinting can not be fooled that easily because it analyzes the answers to specific requests and compares them to a database.

more info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_fingerprinting

:wink:

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

thanks BB!

I found a nice IP range scanner called advanced port scanner which seems to work well except I do not see an option to put in a proxy, can nmap ip range scan? if so , then how?

say my ip is 74.74.2.74, if i do a scan of all ips range 74.74.2.xx will that be all of my neighbors IP's? Since we are in the same neighborhood wouldnt the last set of digits be of people that live around me or no?