Createing a Torrent to share with the world!!!

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)

Do you leech or seed?

Leech
21%
Seed
14%
Combination of both
64%

Total votes: 14

Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Createing a Torrent to share with the world!!!

Post by Still_Learning »

I have no idea how to do this, and i think others may enjoy reading how to do it also.

Say that i have a file i want to share with the world on the torrent system how do I do it?

How do I get this file that I want to share , share it with the world while being anonymous?

Torrent files are everywhere, what are the basics? Say I have a file i want to share, i also have a server i can put it on to start the seeding from, how does it go from there?
thanks!

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Ok, since you've go uTorrent (from the other thread) here's how you create a torrent.

File -> Create New Torrent -> Enter information and add file -> Select where to save the .torrent onto your hard drive.

Go to your tracker of choice and upload the .torrent. You're done.

On topic: A combination of both. I seed a little when I can. Don't like to be a bandwidth hog since I have to share my tubes with brother and father.

Edit: Didn't read all the way through. Ok, so in a normal distribution method over the internet you have a server that hosts the file and the client that downloads the file. The problem with this is too many people accessing the server thereby rendering service inoperable.

In a torrent you have a tracker and peers. The tracker keeps track of who is downloading what torrent. Peers either have part or most of the target file. The way a torrent works is that instead of peers connecting to a server, they connect to each other and download pieces of the file. The whole file is not downloaded from one source. This eliminates the possibility of not being able to download a target file at all.

Also, the tracker hosts the .torrent and keeps track of who is downloading/seeding.

puto
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by puto »

well i do a little bit of both but i do more seeding then leaching i don't download that much but when i do i all ways make sure to seed at least a day or 2 just to keep my ratio up.If you search on the sites you download from most of them will have a Tut on there.For instants if you use Demonoid you can find a tut in there FAQ in how to create a torrent.
Intelligence merely allows you to be more elaborately and ornately disastrously wrong.

Xonet

Post by Xonet »

a little of both.
I download all sorts of stuff and what i do is just turn on my torrent app when i leave home or at night, when i'm about to fall asleep to one of my movies on my pc and let it download. I don't set any upload limit and just let it dl/ul. Then when it's finished it depends what i'm gonna do, if by the time i have the complete file, i allready have an ul ratio of >1.5 or i have a few more torrents waiting, then i might delete the torrent. Else i'll just leave it there, sometimes for several weeks, untill i have to make a bit of room in my torrent app.
I used to be a leecher, but since i have a dl limit of 120gb instead of 12, i actually enjoy the feeling of helping others out with their torrent.
You cant spell slaughter without laughter.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I always as a rule upload at least as much as I have downloaded. In the beginning when I was testing many linux distros I tried to stick to that but now I am doing much better as I have a comp set up just for this. :D
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Thanks for all the answers, I am thinking I am going to setup a 50 GB FTP server if i can figure it out, would you recommend true encrypting a server? Or can someone plz answer my question in the linux forum about why I have a 160 GB drive that i only formatted partition for 100GB which windows XP Pro and Ubuntu are sharing? I would like to format or partition the other 60 gigs that i havent done anything with yet,, am I going to have to reformat and re format everything again?