Ping ddos.

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
thcisme
forum buddy
forum buddy

Ping ddos.

Post by thcisme »

This is probably stupid... but, What would happen if you used an MS-DOS batch file to ping an IP address with the highest amount repeatedly? For example, it would be something like this:

start ping -t -l 65550 (ip address here)

Would this have any effect on the victim?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Not likely to work on todays connection speeds ^^ I mean it COULD maybe work on a 56K modem, but it's not a solid idea.

Besides, the packets would all come back to hit you in the face xD
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

thcisme
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by thcisme »

cats wrote:Not likely to work on todays connection speeds ^^ I mean it COULD maybe work on a 56K modem, but it's not a solid idea.

Besides, the packets would all come back to hit you in the face xD
ok, thanks for the rply.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

nope, the bandwidth usage would be simply too low....and pings can be easily blocked, all desktop firewalls I know block ICMP packets per default already.
to have an effect you would need either a DAMN fast upload speed or a botnet....but in both cases it would still be a very ineffective attack.

:wink:

Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Still_Learning »

heres some pretty cool bat script

@ECHO off
:top
START %SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe
GOTO top

keeps opening notepad programs until the pc crashes
i just read that it is illegal to send bat files over the internet, is that true? LOL
why?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

itzm3 wrote: i just read that it is illegal to send bat files over the internet, is that true?
nah..... :lol:

simonde
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by simonde »

Doesn't really work on most networks these days, but you can still happen across a few old routers/networks that you can execute a Smurf attack on:

Ping the broadcast address of the vulnerable network. Assuming that the router will forward on a ping sent to the broadcast address (and that the systems behind the router/firewall will respond to a ping sent to the broadcast address), you can multiply your bandwidth by quite a bit (creating the DDoS you first mentioned, rather than the DoS you described).

Example:

The vulnerable network has 100 systems online behind the firewall.

You send through a 76 kbps stream of ICMP echo requests to the broadcast address of the router, setting the source address of the echo request to the IP of the victim that you want to knock offline.

Each of the 100 systems behind the firewall receive the echo request and respond with an echo reply....to the specified source IP (your victim). This takes your 76 kbps stream and multiplies it by 2 orders of magnitude to (approx.) a 7.6 Mbps stream

You're still limited by the bandwidth of the vulnerable network, so it's not ideal.....but it's better than using your own ;)

Very old-school attack.....I've only seen it actively (and successfully) employed once in the past 5 years or so.
C|EH, ECSA, C|EI
Halock Security Labs
http://www.halock.com