Ham radio

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Ham radio

Post by Still_Learning »

I have heard of police radio scanners and such where news reporters and the like can listen to the police / ambulance / fire radio frequencys in real time over their channel with a police radio scanner or Ham radio or such.. has anyone ever used a Ham radio? what would be the cheapest way to intercept the signals and listen? has anyone ever built one or used one? I belelive truckers also use the same type of technology right? thanks

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Yeah I have one. Don't remember what it costed, but it's pretty old so most likely cheaper now. It was fun at the beginning, until the Police in Sweden changed to new equipment and it didn't work anymore ^^. Now all I can hear with it is Polish truckers talking about what they had for lunch.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

check here:
http://www.uniden.com/products/index.cfm?cat=scanners

I have a Uniden UBC 92 XLT, goes for about 170 Euro here, but you can surely find better offers on the net. Uniden ones are known to be good, of course they are not the cheapest...but the problem with the really cheap ones are the limited frequency bands. in germany police still uses antique analog transmission, because the state has no money to upgrade to digital (and encrypted) technology...so many cops even prefer to use their private cell phones... :lol:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

airwaves suck

Post by DNR »

Well besides encrypted commo, there is also freq hopping. One setup for hacking police commo required two computers, each picking up one side of the convo, and decrypting it. But that was in the 1990's.
The most fun I have seen my friends have with it is using it to eavesdrop on cordless phone convos, you get some pretty weird shit. Since it is illegal to drive around with a scanner in your car, use a laptop to be your scanner :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

ahhh I see.. :) Laptop scanner sounds like a cool idea since i allready have one allready with a wireless card, how would that work to pick up cell phone or cordless phone calls or police radio signals over the laptop? What kind of range do you get Ham radio VS Laptop? Im guessing since i have a mimo-N wifi card it would be about 300 too 500 feet? Any good tutorial links or software? like how does it work i just type in random frequencys and see if anyone is saying something on it and figure out who is useing the frequency? I dont think i have the money to buy a ham radio right now my budget is like 50$ usd unless i can make one myself with part from radio shack or something or use my laptop instead :)

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

builder

Post by DNR »

hmm build some shit like this:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

humm.. I have been looking into this is it seems very cheay and easy to create

im intrested in what kind of range that it gets, or more details on how it is built

Im looking into more cheap options now, as for the laptop like you were saying earlier, what program is the best? i just type the frequency in and my wireless card in the laptop wll pick up the signal and it will play over my speakers? also can i talk on the channels? (i know it would be illegal to talk over a police radio channel, but is it possible with the laptop. or a cheap scanner?)

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

let me get some duct tape

Post by DNR »

That video is crap, a tv remote and a bowl with aluminum foil - that'll work. :roll: No offense to you, I just hate crappy videos.

The real thing would be something like this:
http://www.skysweep.com/binaries/doc/skytechdescr.pdf

DNR
-

Grymstone

Post by Grymstone »

I am a technician class Ham and a former US Army RATELO (Radio and Telephone Operator).

CB uses different bandwidth (frequencies) than Ham. Amateurs Radio Operators have a dedicated bandwith to their disposal to operator Amateur Radio, Amateur TV, Packet Radio, etc.

CB can only talk on a limited spectrum.

You want to monitor Ham without a license? Get a 2meter scanner.

Or get a license yourself.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

grym,
Nice answer. Welcome to the Suck-o forums.
8)
DNR
-

angoriul

Post by angoriul »

Grymstone wrote:I am a technician class Ham and a former US Army RATELO (Radio and Telephone Operator).

CB uses different bandwidth (frequencies) than Ham. Amateurs Radio Operators have a dedicated bandwith to their disposal to operator Amateur Radio, Amateur TV, Packet Radio, etc.

CB can only talk on a limited spectrum.

You want to monitor Ham without a license? Get a 2meter scanner.

Or get a license yourself.
Now theres a kind of answer you don't see everyday! :P

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

^^ Yes, many thanks Grymstone, I guess it was just a "I wonder how.." type of thing, and you answered it perfectly. Thanks again

:D

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

?
I hate that when people get confused by quotes..
:roll: But nice compliment. Not for me, to him, the other guy.
DNR
-

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

DNR wrote:?
I hate that when people get confused by quotes..
:roll: But nice compliment. Not for me, to him, the other guy.
DNR
Thanks to all of you! DNR I thought I allready thanked you after your post, if i didnt then thanks again. That post for for Grymstone, you all pretty much answered my question. I cant just buy some kind of scanner from radio shack and hear all the emergency channels, that is old school stuff.

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

if you can find a old portable television with a utf switch you can intercept cell phone convos ;)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/trenchcoatskrilla/biohazard.gif[/img]