Telnet

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
solidsnake
forum buddy
forum buddy

Telnet

Post by solidsnake »

I have been reading alot about Telnet. There is only one question here that still skips me. In alot of articles and guides they say Telnet could just be the only tool you need to hack some one (and DOS).

Yet on others they say Telnet is now absolete and that it no longer works as almost everyone (web pages or computer uses) has emplemnted some kind of fire wall or a OS fix to prevent it.

Which is the true opinion? And if it is really still operational, Any available severs to have a test on them?

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Telnet is outdated mostly because it transmits data in cleartext. This means that if you were to sniff the network and pick up the packets and reassemble the packets you could read what was transmitted.

SSH is the the new thing. It transmits data encrypted. If you were to capture and reassemble the packets the data would look like garbage characters. Assuming you had the right key (and cipher) you could run the data through the cipher and convert the encrypted data back to the original message.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

right Stavros. many people also confuse telnet a little because it can be used for different things....you can use the telnet client to connect to a service like smtp or ftp, this is often used to gather information, but can also be used to really use the service (send an email for example).
on the other side there is the "real" telnet, for this the client has to connect to a telnet server....and those are very rare, SSH replaced it because of the reasons Stavros mentioned.
but you can still find some places:
http://telnet.org/htm/places.htm

:wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

tricky

Post by DNR »

yea there is a trick where you can use telnet to talk to a open port in order to steal the banner. The banner of course containing software nfo and version type,
220 gnr.u2me.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3; Mon, 31 Jun 2008 01:45:38 -0500
DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

solidsnake
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by solidsnake »

Thanks alot. Good to know. The other day i tried to telnet to mail.hotmail.com at port 25 for the SMTP. Didn't work told me i lost connection. Previously i tried to telnet to a friend's IP (have a little fun talking to him through a notebook file or something to spook him) but i yet failed.

If it wouldn't be rude can i ask a Python programming question here? Since i am not keen on spamming forums with too many new topics

If yes, grant me permission and i will just ask it.

G-Brain
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by G-Brain »

solidsnake wrote:If it wouldn't be rude can i ask a Python programming question here? Since i am not keen on spamming forums with too many new topics
You're changing the subject.

Synonym for subject is topic.

I say it's safe to start a new one, maybe it will even be interesting.
I <3 MariaLara more than all of you

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

some answers

Post by DNR »

Solidsnake
The other day i tried to telnet to mail.hotmail.com at port 25 for the SMTP. Didn't work told me i lost connection.
Many mail servers secure their mail ports to block spammers, MSN, Gmail, AOL, and even suck-o. Authentication can be by IP or a login. But many will just blackhole the port or even spoof the banner as a fake OS/software/version.
Previously i tried to telnet to a friend's IP (have a little fun talking to him through a notebook file or something to spook him) but i yet failed.
You are talking about the difference of apples and oranges - telneting to a server - a computer setup to listen and respond to requests like mail, webpages, db, or files. Your friend has a host computer, one that is not meant to respond to external requests, instead it is used to request action by a server, like this forum or your email provider.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

If you want a very basic idea of a telnet site google "BBS telnet sites" or such, I just set one up but need to work on it more before i anounce it officially

I have a very limited knowledge of SSH, is it pretty much just like telnet but with better network encryption? I tryed to download a file from a bbs today and it asked me if i would like to use Y or Z protocals, I havent seen those in years .. and have no idead on how to use them with broadband instead of TCP/IP or such, if you know plz let me know

solidsnake
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by solidsnake »

From what i read, yeah SSH is the safest way now. Also it is the most common now adays. I think it is actually easy to set up from what i found. You will need a program called Putty however if you are working with Windows.

*Nix user there is a tutorial foun on google just by searching "Hacking SSH" try it, it might be absolete however.