Fixing computers

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Fixing computers

Post by visser »

Ok so I am working on this computer for a friend of the family. its not going so well! lol and it has gotten me to raise 2 questions.

1: is there some sort of live cd that will just tell me the hardware of the computer? i just want to pop it in and get some info on the hardware so i can hop onto my lappy and look up the drivers for the hardware. HP didnt provide what i needed to get the computer running again.

2: all that windows xp will say about this piece of hardware that i can identify is that its an "unknown device" how do i go about getting that to be a known device lol

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Will the Bios tell you the information your looking for? If not open the computer up and look at the parts and model numbers. Then use google if needed.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

another way might be to boot a Linux live CD and then use the lspci command... :wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I am assuming you can boot up and run the OS.
Try Everest, its in the downloads section. Don't forget Process Explorer. Good thing you have a laptop for your lookups. :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

If you have the money, i would recommend signing up for driveragent.com if you will be fixing alot of computers. It scans your PC automatically and gives you all the drivers you need to fix the pc. It makes it so, so, so much easier then opening the computer or having to find what each device is and the manufactures webpage then their drivers download page, ect..

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Well before repairing any pc now, i use drivermax. Simple and easy to use but if ya need a 'free' software like driverguide then send me a pm buddy and il upload something for ya :wink:

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Drivermax looks promising.

Code: Select all

http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/
that seems to be the latest version of it, and its freeware, you just need an email address to get the code and it looks like you can use guerillamail or 10minuteemail to do that.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Still_Learning wrote:Drivermax looks promising.

Code: Select all

http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/
that seems to be the latest version of it, and its freeware, you just need an email address to get the code and it looks like you can use guerillamail or 10minuteemail to do that.
You can also just install it on any pc that has been formatted and run without getting a code, works fine, i know as i just repaired one and run drivermax while the pc was in safe mode before formatting and never had to go through all the rigmoral of signing up :wink: :)

check the download section too for a copy :)

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

or perhaps i could get back into reverse engineering,tho i found it pretty boring..lol

visser

Post by visser »

DUDES!!!!

that driver max is where it is at man! that is no joke the coolest thing i have ever seen on windows. perfect program! if you fix a lot of computers for friends you will want to use this program at one time or another! it works so darned well!