Newbie Beginnings....

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
MaZe000
forum buddy
forum buddy

Newbie Beginnings....

Post by MaZe000 »

In my introduction over in the General Tab I mentioned I got a few books I am going to start reading before the school year... I was wondering if I should even spend my time with them or just return them. Book suggestions even e-books will be appreciated.

I have

Blocking Spam & Spyware for DUMMIES
Firefox for DUMMIES

I got these two because I thought to start before anything I should get to know my Browser that I came to enjoy and most hackers seem to use and know what is safe and what can be harmful and protect myself.

Hacking Windows Vista

This is more for making Windows Vista more the way I want it to be making more customizable. Fine tune Firewalls etc.

I got TCP/IP

woah a surprise I guess. I was thinking this is a good way to understand what I am going through to even speak to most of you. Maybe help out with my internet connection?

On Hold I have a Security Book and it looks like all the big names on this site started with that.

Any suggestions/tips will be appreciated and feel free to speak your mind. I can take brutal honesty... I promise.

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

Lose the Windows Vista book! :lol:

jk. Its can prove very helpful if you work on a Windows Vista operating system, or if you are a technician and need to tweak the system to improve and optimize performance.

TCP/IP subjects are very advance, even the most simplistic book on the subject might be challenging for neophytes, but its a great kick and will give you a general grip on almost everything else. I would recommend starting with that book last, since it would probably be the most difficult.

But don't look for books that just have big words in it, look for books that cover useful subjects that you would like to learn. For example, maybe you want to be a security admin, and work with web servers. Linux would be your best OS for such a job, so you would look for a Linux Web Administration book.

There are tons of great ebooks in our downloads section under textfiles. check them out, it beats spending so much money on books you will only read once. 8)
[img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ebrizzlez/4lsint1.jpg[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

You _have_ to learn and understand Windows. It is still a widely use OS for desktops and servers - to get into IT and not know how to use your customer's computers is just moronic.
Linux is great, but I consider it upper level study.

I give thumbs up on TCP/IP book, it is the basic bible. Also don't just use one book on TCP/IP, there are many books that offer different insights to the same subject matter - it'll help.

Don't knock the "for Dummies" books, they make good quick references and also come with CDROM that you can self-test yourself with.

Hacking Exposed was a decent book for intro to hacking.

Set up your own computer lab at home. This is important - you'll never get enough "computer lab time' at school - so install everything at home - and you'll be able to go on and study when ever (2am is a good time!). Remember - you want to get more 'hands-on' time than your classmates (and teacher!).

Reading books is great, but the real knowledge comes when you do the hands-on application of what you read.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

MaZe000
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by MaZe000 »

Thanks all for taking your time in giving me some options to look at. I am currently running Vista and I actually have a P.O.S. laptop that had Microsoft but I put SUSE Linux into it. I was thinking about going into that when I am confident to start programming networking and fooling around.

Again Thanks!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

THE Linux book:
"LINUX, Second Edition: Installation, Configuration, and Use" by Michael Kofler
it' surely not a bargain (about 50 bucks), but with this book you are almost complete already in context with Linux (that's why the inofficial name of this book is "The Linux Bible").
definitely a must-have.... :)

zeus_zf
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by zeus_zf »

I for one am not opposed the OS that you decide to use. Except for perhaps vista.

Get ready to junk it and move on to the next gen this fall, that is my little ad.

Now, the thing is. Basic hacking, and I mean the real clean basics to learning is first learning your OS.

Secondly, if Linux seems a little intimidating to you, but you still want to learn, windows is just fine. Of course 10 years ago, I would have not said so, but a lot of hacking tools that were once for Linux only are emerging into the windows spotlight.

Such as, kismet, and wireshark, and a few others. Which is nice, so if you decide to go linux later on you are familiar in those tools.

Samething with various programming languages, such as perl and python.

I remember I had to have a linux distro for either of those langauges. Now, they have them for windows and in IDE's too. (They will burn for that. :oops: )

Also another piece of advice, take your time. Determine what it is you really want to learn, and then learn the steps it takes. Mind boggling I know, but being too hasty only leads to disaster and discouragement!
<strong><a href="\\\\\\\http://the-gatesofolympus.tk\\\\\\\" title="\\\\\\\My Site\\\\\\\">THE GATES OF OLYMPUS</a> </strong><hr>
I am putting together a team of hackers and gamers for fun and profit. We are looking for awesome people such as yourself

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

MaZe000 wrote: I am currently running Vista and I actually have a P.O.S. laptop that had Microsoft but I put SUSE Linux into it.
Again Thanks!
Suse is a good start. I actually have in now on my laptop. It was the first linux distro I set a dual boot. Right now I do no have my cs's here with me but when I get them I am going to reinstal some other linux distro like debian or maybe even slackware. :wink:
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal