newbie off the wall ?

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
DemonSeed

newbie off the wall ?

Post by DemonSeed »

say im in.. yahoo, aol, mIRC, myspace etc etc chatrooms.. is it possible to find someones IP.. and if so HOW?

f4Gg0t_43
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

It is if you make a direct connection with them. Then you can use Wireshark to view all packets sent/received, and it shows the location (ip). Most of the time it's through a server though, like you > server > person, so you will just get the server IP.

EDIT: I'd like to mention that MSN file sending is direct connection

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

The direct connection he talks about is called a handshake. This can be done with either sending a file or viewing a cam etc. You may also get the ip address from a mail header depending on your client.

Welcome to suck-o :wink:
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

You can use "netstat" as well to see the IP during a direct connection. It depends on your OS what arguments you are to use to get the desired output, but you can set it to show what application uses what connection to take some IP's out of the equation.

Well, these would be the methods using only the clients you mentioned. There are countless other ways to do it. I can tell you (if you don't already know) that every time you enter a website, your IP is placed in a log together with your clients HTTP request, that should get your imagination running ^^
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

i brought this up once before in a thread..i forget what it was about but anyway..
--How to get a IP--
-Mirc
simply log onto whatever server and join a channel. When you find a target just type /DNS "victim" without the quotes.
-Myspace
i've heard a few people mention there are scripts were you can put it in whatever you do on myspace (not familiar) and it emails you the IP addy of the people who visited your page
-Msn
simply get msn plug and download a plug-in called "ipget"
OR
download mercury messenger..when you receive a offline message MM is nice enough to let you know the IP addy of that person, not the server.
my friend and i tested it to make sure.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/trenchcoatskrilla/biohazard.gif[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

all good answers.

What is happening is the Chat server is translating IP:MAC of the traditional TCP/IP into their own UIDs - as both sides of the convo pass the server , it knows IP:MAC = UID and translates the packets to the right persons.

The tips on hacks given in this thread might not work, some exploits get patched.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.