vista off, xp on

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
offshoreposer
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

vista off, xp on

Post by offshoreposer »

hey guys, new here, i have had my laptop now for months did have a top end computer with xp on untill i sold it, now i wanna get back into hacking but cant work on vista (on my laptop),
i tryed reformating my laptop and putting xp on but there is some sort of encryption on the hdd preventing me from doing this, or is it more along the lines of my laptop components being built to be used with vista and not xp?

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

Did you use the XP-cd when you tried to format? If you used some program in vista I guess it wouldn't let you because vista was running, and it doesn't like being deleted. Even if the drive is encrypted it doesn't matter because the formatting process will remove that too.

You could try linux as well, www.ubuntu.com is a good start :P

offshoreposer
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by offshoreposer »

yeah i did it all with the xp disk it let me wipe the whole drive and then when i tried to put xp on it pretty much said no chance mate put vista back on so thats what i did

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Does your laptop happen to be a Toshiba? I experienced trouble trying to put XP on a Toshiba laptop. Vista install disc would recognize the HD, but XP would say there was no HD present. What I had to do was slipstream either the CD drive drivers or HDD driver onto the XP install disc.

Is it saying that there's no HD present?

offshoreposer
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by offshoreposer »

no it dont say that, could it be because vista is 64 bit and xp is 32? oh and its a dell inspiron 1720

f4Gg0t_43
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

offshoreposer wrote:could it be because vista is 64 bit and xp is 32?
Most likely, yes.

F4LSE

My Thoughts

Post by F4LSE »

A- Depending on your laptop maker it could have a setting in the bios that prevents you from altering the HDD.
B- You could have downloaded a bad XP iso and goten shooped by a disc that can only format :D
C- its not because of 32 or 64. once formated, im fairly positive a 64 bit system can install onto a 32 bit and vice-versa. however the OS will not recognize some of the hardware properly in a 32 bit system if it is specifically built for 64. i.e. i have 4GBs of RAM in my tower, but 32 bit vista will only recognize and use 3.5GBs.
D- If all else fails get a hold of hiren boot cd and boot nuke the hdd and ull be able to do w/e you want to it.

offshoreposer
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by offshoreposer »

checked the system info and it is only 32 bit, i just really do not like vista, when i was learning how to hack i used to use telnet alot and i really do not know anyother way, plus i get on with xp more than vista,

thanks for your help guys

IceDane

Re: My Thoughts

Post by IceDane »

F4LSE wrote:A- Depending on your laptop maker it could have a setting in the bios that prevents you from altering the HDD.
B- You could have downloaded a bad XP iso and goten shooped by a disc that can only format :D
C- its not because of 32 or 64. once formated, im fairly positive a 64 bit system can install onto a 32 bit and vice-versa. however the OS will not recognize some of the hardware properly in a 32 bit system if it is specifically built for 64. i.e. i have 4GBs of RAM in my tower, but 32 bit vista will only recognize and use 3.5GBs.
D- If all else fails get a hold of hiren boot cd and boot nuke the hdd and ull be able to do w/e you want to it.
64-bit cannot run on 32-bit processors. 32-bit can run on a 64-bit processor.

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

If you can't reformat your drive and install WinXp you can always refer to emulation software and run an emulation of Windows XP platform on your machine...

Code: Select all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vmware
Running an emulated workspace is a very good idea when you want to "try out programs" without messing up your computer for good. :wink:
[img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ebrizzlez/4lsint1.jpg[/img]

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

When i got my laptop, it came with vista. I tried putting an ISO rip of a Windows XP cd on there but it didn't work. However, when i installed Windows XP DarkLite edition, it worked just fine. I've had success with darklite on both hp and toshiba laptops.

Drop me a PM if you want windows xp darklite.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

offshoreposer
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by offshoreposer »

darklite? whats differant from xp pro? does it still have telnet on it?