ASIC fan switch

Infos, Mining, Trading
ayu
Staff
Staff

ASIC fan switch

Post by ayu »

Bought new fans for my ASIC unit to make it less noisy, but it failed so the temperature went from 67C to 85C.
Had to turn it off again and switch back to the old fans.

Will write some more specs later about the original fans and the new fans.
I haven't given up yet.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: ASIC fan switch

Post by bad_brain »

when it comes to fans ask Dr. Fan (aka. me)....I have tried dozens already. what sizes do you need?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:when it comes to fans ask Dr. Fan (aka. me)....I have tried dozens already. what sizes do you need?
120mm, as quiet as possible, and as high RPM as possible as well.
I'm gonna check the RPM of the original ones later, and it the new ones need to be at least that.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, it's not that much about the rpm, a lot depends also on the wing design...if possible post what model the old ones are, with a little luck we can find a datasheet which shows how much m³ air they move per hour and pick the new fan accordingly then. ;)

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

I checked the original fan now, and it says "Coolmax 1225H12B-Y21 0.80A 12VDC"

Google says this about the fan
Manufacturer: Evercool
Part: 1225H12B-Y21
Size: 120mm
Color: Black
LED Color: None
Air Flow: 147.7 CFM
Noise Level: 54.9 dbA
RPM: 4500 RPM
Bearing Type: Ball
And the one I bought says
Size: 120mm
Air flow: 28,8 CFM
Noise Level: 12 dbA
RPM: 850 RPM
So yeah, huge difference xD
I wish I had checked this before :P

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hehe, yeah, quite a difference in the airflow... :lol:

ok, here's my recommendation: Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentFan XL-P:
http://www.blacknoise.com/en/products/i ... tFan_120mm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

delivers an airflow of 128.0 m³ with only 32 dbA (note that 32 db is not "almost half as loud" as 54 db, a change of 10 db is experienced as half/double of loudness).

I am using NB fans since years already in my main system, they are really silent and have a great build quality (never had to replace one yet), and the prices are also really more than ok for the quality.

there is even a retailer shop near you (conrad):
http://www.blacknoise.com/en/merchant/overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

haha! There's a store right next to my office XD

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I know...just didn't wanted to be too specific for privacy reasons...^^

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:I know...just didn't wanted to be too specific for privacy reasons...^^
okay ;D
That's fine though, wont be working there for much longer anyway ^^

reparto
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by reparto »

bad_brain wrote:well, it's not that much about the rpm, a lot depends also on the wing design...if possible post what model the old ones are, with a little luck we can find a datasheet which shows how much m³ air they move per hour and pick the new fan accordingly then. ;)
Just inserting my two pence... :D

With fans you need to make sure they have a static pressure rating that is high enough to push past the heatsink, generally speaking the CFM/m^3 ratings wont make a huge difference to temperatures unless the difference is huge

if air is travelling sonic speeds then it can experience the effects of compression and it can cool down, this effect causes the white mist in the sonicboom of aircrafts which is caused by the water vapour condensing from the air.

A lot of fan manufacturers do not publish static pressure ratings mainly because in the past the trend has been to have fans that can push a lot of air. However, from the design of the fan blades it is possible to figure out whether they are static pressure optimised or not.

Fans with static pressure optimised blades:
Scythe Gentle Typhoons (rareish in the USA as Scythe do not operate there anymore)
Corsair SP Series fans (SP = Static Pressure)
Noctua F Series fans (Noctua F12 is a common one)

Air flow optimised fans:
Corsair AF Series fans (AF = Air Flow)
Noctua S series (the series are also more silent than the F series)

The Noiseblocker fans don't have any ratings on them but they don't seem to be pressure optimised due to the fact that the blades are spaced out more than most pressure optimised fans
If the blades are spread out then there will be more air leakage as the fan tries to push the air.

I hope this info helps.
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, the difference between the old and his new fans ARE huge CFM-wise...while the NB ones are pretty much the same with 20 dbA less noise.
and hey, they are German engineering, so of course they published the specs... 8) :lol:

from the data sheet (available here):
static pressure 2,790 max
which is more than the Noctua NF-F12 with 2,61 (without LNA)...;)

I have to admit though that I wasn't really paying attention to the static pressure specs so far, so thanks a lot for bringing that up... :D

and btw, my CPU fan is a Noctua one...loving it.... :wink:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

hmmm can't seem to find those fans around here.
I went to the "store", but it was in the World Trade Center in this area, so it was just an office it seems.

And that specific model that you recommended doesn't seem to exist on the resellers website

Code: Select all

http://www.conrad.se
I'm going to look around for similar specs on other brands that I can find locally.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

darn....yeah, they have only the 2 other models of that series... ](*,)

I have looked around a bit in swedish online shops, here's one I could recommend, it's one of the Noctua fans reparto also mentioned:
http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=779026#info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the specs they dsiplay on the site are wrong btw, for the real ones: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=prod ... g=en&set=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not as much power as the NB one, but still good...and more silent... :-k

reparto

Post by reparto »

bad_brain wrote: from the data sheet (available here):
static pressure 2,790 max
The 2.79mm h2o static pressure rating is most likely to be at the higher voltage of 13.8V which can't really be achieved using PWM (it might be possible with voltage control but it depends on whether the specific board will allow a greater voltage to be sent to the fan header).

I will also point out that the fan blade design is very similar to the fan blade design of the Gelid Wings fans which are known to not have good static pressure.

And do take note of the dB ratings, the Noiseblocker is rated at 31.7 max which is quite loud for a fan that has the word silent in its name.

Finally, the airflow rating is given in m^3/hour not Cubic Feet per Minute, 128m^3/hour = ~60CFM

If you actually compared the Noctua F12 with the 2000RPM BlackSilentFan then even if the BlackSilentFan could fully reach its specs then it would still be significantly louder whilst providing barely any extra performance. And there are fans with much more static pressure than Noctua fans (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1PSGh2 ... ring&pli=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, the db is of course for full speed, which is again compared pretty silent compared to other fans then....when you keep an eye on the CFM. you can always find something more silent, with more CFM, more pressure....but it's impossible to find something which has brilliant specs for everything, so you always have to make compromises.
what is also important is the build quality, I had a lot of fans labeled as hi-end from different brands (like Arctic Cooling, Enermax, Corsair, and so on) but all of them lasted max. 6 months before they began to annoy me with noises from the bearings....the only exceptions are Noctua and Noiseblocker, those run for years already now in my main system without any bearing problems.
that's why I can only recommend those 2 brands, simply from my personal experience....and another point is of course the availability for cats in his country without having to go through shady ebay sales for example. ;)