Dead Drops

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Dead Drops

Post by DNR »

http://deaddrops.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stole their idea...

DNR's Version of Suck-o.com Dead Drop

"How to install a SUCK-O Dead Drop

1.Get a USB flash drive of any size.

2. Cut and Paste Suck-o.com Dead Drop Manifesto(README.TXT), set up directories as instructed, and install on USB flashdrive

3. Wrap the body of the USB with tape, electrical. You want to seal the electronics as well as you can. You can leave the cover on the USB stick - this will help protect the USB prong while you cement it in place.

4. Find a hole to stick the USB in. It has to allow a laptop to access it without cables, it has to be somewhat weather proof, and it should be near a high traffic internet type area - coffee shops with free wifi, universities, libraries, schools, - any hangout with internet savvy people.

5. Make sure the USB stick is in the proper position - the plastic slot is on the bottom and the metal part of the USB plug has two open holes on the TOP. This is the common configuration for laptops with USB ports. Check your country.

6. Use fast setting concrete to cement the stick in a crack or hole.
The nicer it looks, the more likely it will stay there if discovered.
You can use epoxy cement. You can epoxy into wood, metal, brick, cement.

Suck-o Dead Drop Manifesto (README.TXT)

"Welcome to the Suck-o.com Dead Drop

In the event the internet should one day be censored by governments, we bring you the Dead Drop. Dead Drops are a peer based FTP, a anonymous file sharing network. Just like hackers scraped the internet for dox, nfo, and e-zines - neos of the future will discover Suck-o Dead Drops for their education. Location of other dead drops can be posted on the sticks, each stick will have a different library of text, music, and tools. Each Stick will have files or flavors for the particular area it may be installed in.

Browse the directories on the USB Stick or upload your stuff to the proper directory.
You may upload .txt, .doc, .pdf, .mp3 .mp4, use .zip for large files.

User Caution: Always scan for virus or trojans, this is a public anonymous network.

Leave messages for the next visitor in messages, format
date_name.txt

If you are aware of a Damaged or Full Dead Drop contact deaddrop@suck-o.com "

Set up directories on USB Stick
README.txt
<directories>
Text
Music
Tools

We can do Suck-o dead drops near schools, unis, coffee shops, etc in our own areas. I have one planned for the Occupy Movement down near their meeting place. We can make a new link on the suck-o pages for Dead Drop Locations.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Re: Dead Drops

Post by Necrix »

I have to say..that is a really cool idea!

The only thing I worry about is that it's relying on people being decent and not deleting everything on it...
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

As Necrix says its hoping no one deletes the info, also the cost of the usb sticks wont be cheap if you are thinking of storing mp3/mp4, nice idea for txt/pdf/doc files though *thumb*
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

wow, that's pretty creative :D
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

well dead drops would not really be public, most people miss little things in public, like a USB plug sticking out of a wall. Then you could do a little better in hiding them - one reader pointed out that many places have weakness in the building structure around windows. So find a window with a over hang that can protect the USB from the elements.

The other idea was, this is a community project. Only those in the know would find the USB plugs and since they work on the project too - they care about the project. I just thought that near a school, the kids could upload homework, share music etc.

I was thinking that perhaps a restaurant should take up this idea - sort of a new hipster coffee shop or cafe could have a few USBs installed at each table, and customers can browse stuff on the USBs, or leave stuff. Each table would be different, so some customers would come back to get a different table to explore.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

l0ngb1t
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by l0ngb1t »

this should be totally an underground project.. otherwise it will be easy for the governments to locate the deaddrops and destroy it.

gonna try to make one... it is really cool
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Post by Necrix »

There's gotta be a way to make it read/write only, though :)

I get that it wouldn't well known anyway and the only people that would know about it wouldn't be the type to delete the files. But I know it's gotta be possible to protect the files. It might be something I do some research on soon.

@computathug I don't think cost would be a prob. You can get a 16gb thumbdrive for around $13.

Idea: This could also be a new type of Geocache! Digital!

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Geocache is a good idea, I want it to be geek as possible. If you cannot use GPS to find it, its not meant for you!

USB sticks are cheap, $14 to $20 here too, I would get the largest.

I guess the idea is to create a form of sharing network that is 'off the grid'. It can be like passing notes in class - if you glued a USB stick to the bottom of a chair...

DNR
-

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

I like the idea of using it for a Geocache. I also like this for a few other ideas too. Im warming to this more and more. As above it would need to be shielded from the elements but in hindsight this could be used in so many ways.

The USB could be password protected which only certain people would have access to, which would cut the risk of sabotage. I also like the fact that sometimes you can put things under peoples faces and still they dont notice.

Access to the USB is worth thinking about. Its ok if you have a notepad or something small but it would be fantastic to have something to connect your phone too and transfer the files from there. Phones are much easier to hide and you could hide the fact of cables on your person by wearing head phones.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I got a USB cable, so while I would try to install a dead drop where a laptop could slide in and grep the nfo, the cable is intended.

I did check out cell phones, they use smart disks - the mini ones that are only quarter inch all around. You can have a dead drop with minidisk - but now its a loose disk that has to be placed back in a hiding place. I did wish the USB could be used, because - yes smart phones will be common in the future.

I suppose one could build an encyclopedia of hacking and place them on several minidisk, and now you have a hacker library to hide. Other sets of disk can be like Occupy/Anonymous tactics and tools.

Keep thinkin'

DNR
-

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

What if the USB was active to be a thief? With a partition the disk could have the ability to also download info as well as have the ability to upload.

Software to recognise the disk as a drive on the smart phone would be required. :-k

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

right - what if the USB contained malware - user beware with autorun on USB stuff.

DNR
-

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Post by Necrix »

Perhaps there could be a copy of the USB contents on a webpage.
The link to the webpage would be on the USB drive.
Updates for the USB could be done on the webpage.
When users connect to the USB drive, if they have access to internet, they could update the USB as well as the clone that's on the said webpage.
This way, updates could be done to the USB both by putting stuff on the webpage as well as through physical-only access to the USB.

Also, there would always be a backup of the USB.

Did I say this in a way that make sense?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

maybe just go back to the old idea - a solar powered computer. It runs when it has power, and people can use it for wifi or file host. Its in a building or closet and it is serviced by the community.

DNR
-