Internet Privacy

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
isapiens
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Internet Privacy

Post by isapiens »

As usual i want to increase my privacy level cuz i am always paranoid... Now this time i am not asking about a program or a proxy server that will help me. I was wondering what kind of material should i brush up on in order to truly understand the concepts that stand behind the ability to stay anonymous.

I want to go into more detail.... where should i start? i realize it has to be smth about ports and isp connections, just wanted to see what would be the best topic to start with...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

nice to see you have a deeper interest.. :)
well, to understand networking you have to know how TCP/IP works.
first you need to know the layers and what their job is, check here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/IP_model
no need to spend much time with OSI/ISO ones...focus on TCP/IP.. :wink:
once you understand what the layers are for you should take a look at the headers:
http://linux-ip.net/gl/tcng/node36.html
don't worry, you don't have to know all header fields... :wink:

tcp/ip illustrated is a good reference, and it's also useful for beginners, you can get it in the downloads (simply enter "tcp/ip illustrated" in the search field).

if you have more questions simply ask... :wink:

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

brush up on some social engineering stuff as well, making yourself seem as someone else is a survival trait when it comes to anonymity, also aside from spoofing your IP and such information, its a good idea to work on formulating life-like alias's, i stay pretty anonymous on the net, by some simple techniques... for example

i never show a picture with my face on it
i never give out my real name or contact information
i have a domain name thats not in my name - this is useful in my case
if someone i dont know asks me a personal question i answer it as if i was someone else...
i never connect current handles to real information or even past handles

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

CircuitB0mB wrote:brush up on some social engineering stuff as well, making yourself seem as someone else is a survival trait when it comes to anonymity,...

It sounds more like an advice to South L.A. gheto young resident than a would be hacker. I am intrigued by it!
CircuitB0mB wrote: i never show a picture with my face on it
i never give out my real name or contact information
i have a domain name thats not in my name - this is useful in my case
if someone i dont know asks me a personal question i answer it as if i was someone else...
i never connect current handles to real information or even past handles
I never give out my real name as well. At least I do not believe I ever have done so on the internet.

Most people use thier names to make thier e-mails but I strongly discourage any one to do that. Even the secutiry question in my e-mails is an uncracable password.

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

For this couple a days i was reading about tcp/ip connections, a bit about the osi reference model, the 4 layers of tcp, a bit about headers. I came to the conclusion that this is not something you learn overnight lol and until then i will never feel truly anonymous on internet lol

Until then i just have to rely on circuitbomb's social engineering skillz ;)

Wikepedia page on TCP/IP is way too technical and is impossible to grasp for a noob like me. I got an e-book called TCP/IP foundations. Its pretty good. It gives you these examples that make tcp/ip more tangible.

The text file that is in the download files is pretty awesome, with all those header pictures, one can go nuts trying to memorize it lol. I ll just use it as a reference for now in case i need it :)

Thanks for help guys, now i know the right direction i should be heading ;)