Homebrew Wargames on Ol' Skool PCs

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
eppik
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Homebrew Wargames on Ol' Skool PCs

Post by eppik »

Hey there people.

Me and my dad are gonna bring back to life some ye olde 20th century pcs

1 - 300Mhz 250Mb Ram and a graphics card with 64 megs of ram (GeForce 4)

2 - Pentium 200 With...200 MHz... and 250 MB ram same Graphics card

The Pc will be linked by a Lan cable using a 100 Mgbit Ethernet PCI card....yes the OLD PCI expansion slots is there....

We are planing on instaling a Windows distro on it maybe 95 or 98 (to keep it fast) adn on the other pc i was planing to get a Linux distro.

The linux distros i wanted to choose from are:
  • -Knoppix STD
    -Ubuntu
    and any other lightweight distro
Then, we will get up early and begin a wargame! Me vs Him to see who can crash/steal data/send a blank file (simulate trojan)/Screw up the pc config

Should be fun enought

now my questions are:
  • - Wich distro of linux is lightweight, network audit ready, able to install on HD

- IF knoppix is the answer, how do i install it to my HD from a live CD?

- What possible vulns are there for both of us to exploit (both linux and windows)

- What is available on win 98 or 95 to exploit linux?

-Are these PCs resources enough to run knoppix or ubuntu distros ?
Plz answer them all even if different people have the answers... or send me links to all of these problems[/list]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, it depends on if you want to use a graphical desktop on Linux...if not you can pick any distro you want to...and even if you want to use a graphical desktop the resources are good enough (of course you can't expect a really fast system). the lightweight distros like DSL, Puppy Linux and Knoppix are only lightweight because they don't include all the packages like a full Linux distro and use faster Window managers like Fluxbox (and not Gnome or KDE as usual).

check my answer on the Linux board about installing Knoppix to HDD.

there is a massive amount of exploits for 95/98 and also unpatched Linux systems, simply use the search function on packetstorm: http://www.packetstormsecurity.org

:wink:

eppik

Post by eppik »

Tnx. Check my post about HD instalation i ahev some questions.

IF it is possible to export those toolz, are the tools in knoppix able to exploit or help me exploit the win 98? If no, how?

About the packetstorm site it is a bit confusing, if a exploit is NT ready does it exploit 98?

And remember, i need toolz in linux to exploit windows, not windows tools to exploit windows...