Bandwidth usage limitation

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
isapiens
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Bandwidth usage limitation

Post by isapiens »

All right, so the other day i was downloading linux and i guess it was too much so the school decreased my bandwidth to 64Kb/s. If i have done it at night that wouldnt have given shit, but i did it during the day and got slapped in the face with that.

Its not all that bad: its only for 7 days + i still have my wirelless which is pretty fast. I was just wondering if there is a way around this. Using proxies is out of question i suppose, cuz those things are sooo slow, i cant handle that.

Will manually changing the mac address on the internet card do anything? Will that make the school assign me a new ip address? I am not sure if i am getting the concept of mac addresses correctly.

Anyway, do you guys have any suggestions.

Cheers

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

err , firefox has a plugin which is called downthem all. where it actually opens more then 5 connections. u should look into a simmilare kind of thing using a DNS spoofer ( if it exist) cus I bet ur school bitched ur inside IP trhough DNS settings.

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

not sure what you mean. I am not using any routers or anything. Its an ethernet jack i just plug into. And i think every time you plug in a new computer it asks you to register it online, so i assumed they take my mac address and assign an i p address to it. Isnt that how it works?

I think the down them all plug in just opens up more connection and therefore makes it relatively more faster. It still uses the same ip address so i dont think that will help.

And isn't DNS spoofing just redirecting someone to an another website instead of the one they are thinking they are going to?

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

just as a follow up for those who are interested...

I successfully changed my mac address and therefore registered the same laptop as a new computer. Then i realized that it doesn't matter, because they still limit the bandwidth at the same Ethernet jack thats in my room, dhuuu

pz

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

isapiens, why dont you just buy a Linux distro. They are pretty cheap. So payment isn't a big thing. And if they limit your bandwhich then play by the rules, look for a Linux Torrent (hopefully it doesnt have a virus) and slowly download the distro. :wink: As for your bandwhich problem, try going around and searching for a router to connect to. If the router is encrypted with WPA/WEP encryption you can use your Linux distro and use Airsnort to crack the password. :P If you have some sort of cabel connection or a phone jack, then you can get a dail-up connection which is pretty slow.. but it still works. :wink: But considering that you dont use the jack and find another way to the net, you get unlimited bandwhich. So that would be your first goal. And if they programmed a computer to limit the bandwhich then you would have to get into that computer. :twisted: Which, seems it will be hard, but with Linux... :wink: Just try to go to a friend's house or somthing with connection to the net. As long as you avoid the Ethernet jack, it would seem you would be in the clear.
[img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ebrizzlez/4lsint1.jpg[/img]

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

thanks for help ebrizzlez. You are right, there are bunch of solutions to this problem. I could even just download it in the library.... But the easiest way is to just wait 7 days until the limit goes away. Plus i already got it through wireless ;)

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

no problem. Just remember, a hacker is a person who gets a problem and says: "here are these three solutions... the best one is...." , a hacker is basically a thinker, if you can think, then your a hacker. But, a hacker would look at one problem, and try to figure out all possible soultions towards that problem. :wink:
[img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ebrizzlez/4lsint1.jpg[/img]