Suggestions?

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
knightm4r3
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Suggestions?

Post by knightm4r3 »

Okay, so some friends and I have a few older boxes, and want to expirement with some different things.

I would like something easy to use and configure, due to the fact my only coding skills are in web development. I have however touched in very little C and client side Java, but not enough to do anything.

I also don't want anything that is going to kill our boxes, but I don't want something thats going to do nothing.

I'm not sure even where to start, other than the d-loads, and even then I have no idea what to get.

Keep in mind all of the boxes are windows, either 2000 or XP.

Any help is good help.

Thank you, KM43

p99
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by p99 »

What exactly are you looking to do? It sounds a bit like you want to learn some sort of cracking or do you just want to set up a network?

With trying to break into another computer but keep it on a "do-able" basis, Learn about some vulnerabilities in windows. Both old and new. Set up old vulnerable software which you know how to exploit and go for it.

But with any "real" cracking attempt you don't know what the vulnerability is. Soo... have your friend gather up a list of possible week points and set up one. Making sure he tests that it works then sicking you on it. The key is to not know what the weekness is. You have to find it. And don't let him tell you the answer. Not unless it takes you a month of pure probing and studying with no success. In all honesty if that's the case start much simpler.

So probe this machine in various ways both with CLI and a browser or other tools. I think Nmap has a tool to analize for what daemons are running. You never know if they have port 33333 running a web server or something odd.

I really believe in not telling the answer. It ruins the fun in everything. Well most things anyways. It's like someone solving a complex puzzle for you. When you knew you could get it eventually.

knightm4r3
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by knightm4r3 »

Thanks P99,

I guess the problem is that they aren't all together, so anything has to be done remotely, I have 1 old Compaq and an old Gateway (have yet to start successfully :-P), and they have others ate their places, (there is 3 of us).

So could NMap work remotely? I guess what I would need to be looking for are backdoors? Correct?

This is not something I have delved deep into, so I'm not quite sure exactly what I'm looking for, but I'll check out Nmap ( have used before, but locally) again, and see if there is anyway to get there.

I also tried telnet, with little success, I'm not sure why, it worked on 2 machines, but no others. Is there any reason for this? Firewall? Ports open on some and not others?

Thanks again, KM43

p99

Post by p99 »

I cant say ive gone into it much either. Its an obsession I suppose. :roll:

Well you dont simply want a back door. All a back door means is a path of entry placed to be used by exclusive users.
You need to create a path of entry not intended. Like breaking a house window. But all the windows a 10x thick. you need just that one flawed window...
Get what I mean?

Ok, so telnet. Normally a computer isnt running a server. So no server = no connection on port, wow I forgot...21?
You can however use other.....

p99

Post by p99 »

Sorry g2g. Someone can finish or I will in like 20-48 hours... long time...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

telnet is port 23... :wink:
and well, why not setting up at least 1 box with Linux? it would make things much easier, also nmap would work much better. and administrating the box remotely would be wonderland compared to Windows...you could run any app you want remotely then, nmap too...and for Linux there are a lot more nice networking tools available (for free of course).. :wink: