New MD5 reverser out there

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
kainer

New MD5 reverser out there

Post by kainer »

Hi foks,

i wrote in my free time a new md5 online reverser and want to share it. I would like to see some more people using it since it took some time to write it. Till now there is only a google analytics script on it and ofcourse the md5 reverser so no popups or anything related to that.

The Url is: http://md5.thekaine.de

For comments and suggestions use this Forum or write me directly a mail ( webmaster[a.t.]md5.thekaine.de )

bye kaine :)

BluePass
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by BluePass »

Hmm. You know, I always thought I should take a look on MD5 and do some research about how it works exactly and see if I could come up with a way to reverse the process, but I never found the time to do it.

Let me put it this way, you are saying that you found a way to reverse the MD5 hashes. Hashing algorithms are made to be irreversible, to my knowledge. I remember years back taking a look at the algorithm and it looked impossible to reverse because it was doing some splitting of the data in different bits and rearranging them and running all sorts of bit operations which in the end would just turn the hash into a random sequence of bits.

Example: if part of the algorithm uses OR, which I know it does because I'm looking at the Wikipedia article on it right now there are 3 possibilities which would return true, or 1. If gave you a hash and you'd see that bit number x is a 1 and the last operation that was ran on it was an OR, how would you be able to get back to the two bits that were OR-ed together to give that result? You'd have 3 pairs (1,0), (0,1) and (1,1). We're talking about taking this algorithm and decomposing it into millions or billions of possibilities.

I do not want to say that your work is worthless, I haven't tried it yet, but I am relying on my understanding of hashing functions and their objective is to create a sequence of bits which is irreversible, however which will always be outputted by the function for that given string -- in other words it's not a pseudo-random sequence generator.

Anyway, I'm going to see what other people have to say about this. If you really did crack MD5, then you're a genious. However due to the fact that there is nothing on the internet to back up the existance of an MD5 reversing function and that you're in this forum, rather than, say, Security Focus or other big security research orgranization's mailing list, I have some doubts about the website you're providing.

kainer

Post by kainer »

uhm yes you are totaly right :)
I used a Rainbowtable with millions and millions of hashes in there to "crack" the md5. Iam sorry that i forget to say that. Its ofcourse not a reverse of the mathematical construct.

(A rainbow table is a lookup table offering a time-memory tradeoff used in recovering the plaintext password from a password hash generated by a hash function, often a cryptographic hash function. A common application is to make attacks against hashed passwords feasible.)

BluePass
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by BluePass »

That sounds more like it. However, I have to ask, what are the constraints of this little web app that you have? Plaintext length range?