Changing Your IP

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
Cory

Changing Your IP

Post by Cory »

How would i go about changing my IP adress.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

There are a couple of ways but the easiest is to reset your modem. Once you plug it back in you get a new IP address.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

*warms up fingers*

Ok, here we go..

Ok so it depends on what IP you want to change.

Let's make a few examples....

Example 1:

You have a home network with 4-5 computers. The computers all connect to the Internet through a broadband router.

The "home network" is called a LAN (Local Area Network), and all the computers on the LAN have IP addresses. Depending on the class, but it's usually 192.168.x.x.

Now to change your LAN IP address you could do it in several ways...

1: Goto Start -> Run -> CMD In the black box that appears, write ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew this would supposedly make the router assign you to a new IP, it may have cached your MAC address (MAC = a unique address that all Network cards have) and has been set to assign a special IP to that MAC.

2: You could goto "Network Connections" in your Controlpanel, and right click your current connected device and choose "Properties" in Properties you choose "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" and then choose "Properties". From there you can set a static IP (Static IP = Doesn't change)

3: Another option would be to make the Router assign your IP of choice to your MAC address (get your MAC address by going to Start -> Run -> CMD and then writing ipconfig /all )

Well, let's say you don't want to change your computers LAN address. You want to change the "WAN" address instead (Wide Area Network). Now the WAN is basically the Internet. It's everything outside of your router ..so to speak. Now it isn't always possible to "change" this address. It depends if you have a dynamic or a static IP address (Dynamic = changes). Most people have dynamic addresses though.

To change your WAN IP address you can simply plug-out the router and then wait a few minutes and then plug it back in again, that would in some cases change it. If it doesn't then you can use a so called "Proxy server". It's like a slave that does the work for you.

You can read more about proxies and IP spoofing HERE

Example 2:

Let's say you only have one computer, no router, and only a modem. That would mean that you don't have a so called "LAN" address on your computer since you are directly connected to the Internet. In this case you can do the ipconfig /release | ipconfig /renew to make it change in "some" cases. Or just unplug the modem and wait a few minutes and then try again to see if you get assigned a new IP, in most cases you do. Anyway if this doesn't work then you can refer to the link about proxies above.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Cory

Post by Cory »

kk thanks

mo2332
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by mo2332 »

simplist answer read here http://google.com

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

fingerprints

Post by DNR »

Actually your IP is in the hands of your ISP. If you have a constant connection, like comcast cable or ASDL, your IP will likely stay the same.
you'll be like cus435673.comcast.com

With dial-up, or a connection that you have to make prior to getting online everyday, the IP will be issued on a first come, first served basis from a pool of IPs that the provider owns. Say like IP range 192.168.xx.xx. One day your IP might be 192.168.30.133, the next it could be 192.168.30.202. This is why it is still possible to ban people with dynamic IPs, you'd just ban the entire block of 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 This does have its disadvantage as you might block another person in that IP range.

The proxy server has usually been the way to 'hide' your IP, finding one that works at a decent speed, and trustworthy is hard.

It is also possible to identify you by matching leaked nfo, computer name, browser type, a cookie, ex.:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.1; Linux 2.4.22-10mdk; X11; i686; en, en_US)
Cookie: temp=b1riwiumhpwvh; perm=e4nntqqxoon3d
UA-CPU: x86
This is like a fingerprint, a part of the puzzle to be connected to you. Server-side exploits can also request banners from various ports on your computer to 'print' you, netbios, 445, etc. Your IP is only a part of the puzzle.

DNR

mo2332? not very helpful, if you have nothing to say, don't post please.
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

mo2332

Post by mo2332 »

dnr i know but there a million things on google this is not hard srry

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

mo2332 wrote:dnr i know but there a million things on google this is not hard srry
Mo, there is such as thing that exists called double standards. Was it not you, who asked this very question? "I know we're not suppose to do this but..how do I get the IP address of site 'x' ?". This would be the exact same case that you mention here - there are a million things on google about this, and it's not hard. Sorry.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Off topic:

If we were to google everything then this community would be more or less worthless. We are here to share knowledge and teach each other all the different sides of todays technology (and past tech ofc). Not to send people away. Yes ofc using google would usually be your first choice, but in my humble opinion it's pretty flattering that people choose to come here instead of google.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

ulysse

Post by ulysse »

cats wrote:Off topic:

If we were to google everything then this community would be more or less worthless. We are here to share knowledge and teach each other all the different sides of todays technology (and past tech ofc). Not to send people away. Yes ofc using google would usually be your first choice, but in my humble opinion it's pretty flattering that people choose to come here instead of google.
Umm, Cats got a point here.

- anyway -

I have satellite connection because i live in the middle of nowhere (between two mountains and a rock, to be accurate :D ) And i am stucked with a static ip. Really now, isn't there any way to reset your ip rather than using a slow-mo proxy server that blocks 3/4 of the download links?

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

ulysse wrote:

- anyway -

I have satellite connection because i live in the middle of nowhere (between two mountains and a rock, to be accurate :D ) And i am stucked with a static ip. Really now, isn't there any way to reset your ip rather than using a slow-mo proxy server that blocks 3/4 of the download links?
Ha, do you happen to be using Xplornet Wireless?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

go wifi wardriving

Post by DNR »

Satellite? Thats just another device connected to the internet.

At the least your IP will be traced up to your provider, the satellite internet service provider.

The idea is to get off your personal connection, go find a public wifi AP.
You must have a town right? Are there any wifi AP (access points) you can access? Check out the parking lots of the nice hotels - the 'public' wifi AP may *not be intended for the public, but its there..
A trace of IP will end up at that wifi AP, the one that is *not yours.

Of course you give up the luxury of sitting in your own home (unless your neighbor has a open wifi AP!) for that kind of anonymity.

Remember many servers and devices can record URLs you type in or your browser sends, so accounts, users, and passwords might be transmitted in plaincase, or at least provide nfo on your idenitity.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

ulysse

Post by ulysse »

Big-E wrote:
ulysse wrote:

- anyway -

Ha, do you happen to be using Xplornet Wireless?
Indeed, the worst peice of shit ISP that man ever made.
i pay like 110$/month for 1.5mbps and unlimited bandwidth. My avg spped right now is like .6 mbps and, since it's satellite, i cant play any online games. I actually stole my friend's 56k account to play diablo II online: It goes wayy faste. You seem already familiar with it :P