Finding port numbers

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
jasonxxx102
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Finding port numbers

Post by jasonxxx102 »

How can i find somebodys port number? and ip address

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

depends on the person....

you could use an ip sniffer/scanner, generally speaking "whois"ing a person in IRC doesnt really work, sure, you will get an Ip address but that is typically the IP of their ISP provider not of the person.

To get the IP address of a person you really need a direct link from your compy to theirs, this can be easily acheived by sending them a file (music, file, game etc). Open you command prompt

go to start, run type cmd:

then type netstat -a or netstat -n

as to finding out the ports:

* Well Known Ports (0 - 1023)
* Registered Ports (1024 - 49151)
* Dynamic and/or Private Ports (49152 - 65535)

Thats the broad ranges, typically the most basic port scan will simply try to determine whether the victims ports are open by use of a specially adapted packet.However you will need to learn some stealth techniques to conceal your activities, port scans are seen as suspicious/errors because they send data but dont ask for it. Do it too often and the logs will begin to think that it is a DDoS attack.

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

Swan wrote:depends on the person....

you could use an ip sniffer/scanner, generally speaking "whois"ing a person in IRC doesnt really work, sure, you will get an Ip address but that is typically the IP of their ISP provider not of the person.

To get the IP address of a person you really need a direct link from your compy to theirs, this can be easily acheived by sending them a file (music, file, game etc). Open you command prompt

go to start, run type cmd:

then type netstat -a or netstat -n

as to finding out the ports:

* Well Known Ports (0 - 1023)
* Registered Ports (1024 - 49151)
* Dynamic and/or Private Ports (49152 - 65535)

Thats the broad ranges, typically the most basic port scan will simply try to determine whether the victims ports are open by use of a specially adapted packet.However you will need to learn some stealth techniques to conceal your activities, port scans are seen as suspicious/errors because they send data but dont ask for it. Do it too often and the logs will begin to think that it is a DDoS attack.
and this is coming from someone who claims to not have a 'hacker' persona....snickers :lol:

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

jason,

port scanning is like ringing someones doorbell prior to burglarizing them, you are scoping the place out to see weaknesses. However, be VERY careful about port scanning, typically ISPs get very shitty about any port scanning, regardless of the intention. If you could tell me what country you live in i can help much better, im a law student, so i know the legalities of the computing world ONLY for my own jurisdiction.

echo - 7/tcp - Echo
ftp-data - 20/udp - File Transfer [Default Data]
ftp - 21/tcp - File Transfer [Control]
ssh - 22/tcp - SSH Remote Login Protocol
telnet - 23/tcp - Telnet
domain - 53/udp - Domain Name Server
www-http - 80/tcp - World Wide Web HTTP

The above are the most common ports.

Generally, port scanners take a brute force approach, they tend to send loads and loads of packets all at once so as to see which one is vulnerable. With such activity, this will generally cause a HUGE amount of attention which you do not want.

So, if you can space out the packet sending over a longer period of time, this will look far more normal and thus not so suspicious. Slow and steady my friend!

Why not code your pown port scanner, with a delayed time setting? Just a thought.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Actually the first 1024 are allocated as the 'well-known' ports with 1025-65536 being the lesser known ports, but again are often associated with known applications.

As far as sending out a bunch of packets rapidly, as to see which one is not true. Think of it as this:

You take a snow ball and toss it at a door, if it breaks it is then closed but if it goes through (you get a response) then you know this port is open.

BASICALLY that is how port scanning works BUT there are various types of packets and protocols you can use for reconnaissance, some will light up logs and some are totally not obtrusive (and because most sys-admins don't want a completely flooded log files, they are often ignored)

Just doing a simple google on the topic and I azm sure you can come up with 1000's of sites explaining methods, WITH diagrams, on how port scanning works. I personally use TCP/IP Foundaztions by Syngress Publishing. But GET THIS - You will not learn, if you do not read!

Radar_mX
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Radar_mX »

Use BluePort Scanner it is the best port scanner ever

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

Yeah... it's surely better then nmap... pfff nmap.. what a piece of crap..
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Radar_mX wrote:Use BluePort Scanner it is the best port scanner ever
it's a good one for beginners, the best one for advanced usage is still nmap... :wink: