Emacs

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
G-Brain
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Emacs

Post by G-Brain »

Does anybody use this "text-editor"? I've recently made the switch from vim / vi to emacs and I must say I'm very glad I did. Emacs is awesome.

It's amazing how you can do almost anything with emacs. When I write a [insert any programming language here] script, I can run it and see it's output using a single button press. I can listen to music, send e-mail, split windows, read manpages and I can evaluate LISP code within any document.

It's great how you can extend emacs writing your own functions to do ANYTHING. I recently wrote a script to create backups with the touch of a button, so for example you're editing extremelycomplexscript.py and you decide to make some radical changes, you just hit F4 or whatever you want it to be and emacs creates a backup named extremelycomplexscript-day-month-year-hour-minute-second.py. Now that's not too complex, but you can do some great things in Elisp.

If you haven't tried Emacs, I strongly recommend you do.

- Emacs sales department

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Very convincing, when I am not in GUI as a noob I use VIM to edit documents - perhaps I will whip out emacs and learn some commands for next time I am working on a non-GUI environment - but it`s always good to know various command line editors such as nano, vi, vim and in this case emacs - never know when you might be on a system and no have your fav editor available.