nbtstat

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
isapiens
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

nbtstat

Post by isapiens »

so i was experimenting with netbios.

My setup is a router, desktop pc and a laptop.

I am on the lappy and connected to the router through wireless.

So i run, a port scanner to get the ip of the desktop computer.

Then i use that ip with nbtstat -a command to get further information. I see <20> which means file sharing is enabled.

Then i use "net view /ipaddress" to see what is being shared.

I see that my desktop pc is sharing 2 printers and SharedDocs.

Then i try to map it by typing: net use -f:\\xxx.xxx.x.x\\SharedDocs. but i get an error.

"System error 67 has accrued"

"The network name cannot be found."

What exactly does that mean??? I googled it but didn't really understand.
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Why would your run a port scanner to get the IP or your computer. You can use ipconfig in CMD if you are using windows to determine the IP of your computer!
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

check this:
1. Make sure you have enabled File and Print Sharing For Microsoft Networks From Properties of Local Area Connection

2. Make sure you have shared some folders or files.

3. Run “sfc /scannow”.

4. Make sure you type the correct computer name or shared name.

5. Change the Security Policy - Network security: LAN Manager authentication level: Send LM & NTLM responses.

6. To fix accessing NetBIOS name issue, you may setup Primary DNS Suffix or WINS server.

7. Make sure client for Microsoft Networks is enabled.

8. To fix mapping my documents folder, use quotation like net use H: "\\chicagotech\my documents"

9. Make sure the Workstation service is running on the local computer while Server service is running on the remote computer.

source:chicagotech.net
:wink:

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

Why would your run a port scanner to get the IP or your computer.
Because i have two computers. A laptop and a Desktop PC. I know my ip address on the laptop through cmd ipconfig. But suppose that i didn't know the ip of the Desktop PC. How would you find it? Let me know if there is a way to do that without scanning.

Plus by scanning it i can also see if the port that i need <20> is open.

PS: BB thanks for the info. I will let you guys know what i get.
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I supposed that both of the computers are in your possession. Still if you are on the LAN it is not difficult to figure out the IP of other computers!
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

its...

Post by DNR »

well, a its usually a ping sweep of a network block you already know. If you know your laptop is 192.168.92.4, and you know the PC is a part of the same network, so you would assume the PC would be in the same block, 192.168.92.xx. A larger network it could be 192.168.xx.xx

The port scanner is only for when you know the IP and you want to look for open ports. It worked because port scanners provide that NFO as a part of their port scan report.

Scanners can also query an IP block for responses to: MAC address, computer Name, etc without pinging the IP first.

Machines also broadcast on a network to let each other know they are there as well as to keep alive connections. You could try netstat to listen to your network.. Some routers are switches, and they will block this leakage.

DNR

Is your network like this?

laptop wifi>>>wifi router>>>Desktop PC>>>Internet

or

laptop wifi>>>Wifi Router>>>>Internet
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.