Good Wireless Card's

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
pois0n
forum buddy
forum buddy

Good Wireless Card's

Post by pois0n »

I was thinking about buying a new wireless card for my laptop, I wanted one that works well with the aircrack suite, and isn't to expensive.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by pois0n on 25 Mar 2008, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I believe any card that supports the Atheros drivers will suffice. This isn't my thing, though.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

gogeta70 wrote:I believe any card that supports the Atheros drivers will suffice. This isn't my thing, though.
I agree with you on this, but I too am not one hundred percent sure. I lean towards the idea that any card would work, perhaps DNR will provide some more clarity on this topic.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

aircrack-ng wifi cards

Post by DNR »

thanks for the props flood :wink:

pois0n, I hope you know what you are getting into :lol:
Linux
As of now, Aireplay-ng only supports injection on Prism2, PrismGT (FullMAC), Atheros, RTL8180, RTL8187, Ralink, ACX1xx, Zydas.
Injection on Hermes, Aironet, Marvell and Broadcom is not supported because of firmware and/or driver limitations.

Nearly all drivers (that can support injection) needs to be patched to support injection in Monitor mode.
You will need the following to compile drivers:
**see the aircrack-ng site for latest drivers**

Linux kernel headers that match your current running kernel.
The same gcc version that was used to compile your kernel. At least make sure that the first two version numbers or the compiler are thesame (e.g. it's OK to use gcc 3.4.6 to compile the driver if the kernel was compiled by gcc 3.4.2). Ignoring this rule will cause Invalid module format errors during module load. That can be checked via /proc/version.
Always use latest patches that you can find here
**see aircrack-ng site for latest drivers**

Note: if you're using drivers given with your distro they AREN'T patched.
Note: For other drivers, simply follow the standard installing procedure for your distribution.

Windows
On windows, currently, only monitoring is supported. Stock drivers doesn't support monitoring, you'll have to install wildpacket driver. For Atheros chipsets, if your model isn't listed or your are unsure as to which driver applies, simply download the latest version).

To make it short, all Atheros cards should be supported. Centrino or USB adapter are not supported.
See Compatibility, Drivers, Which Card to Purchase for a complete list of supported chipsets.
In 1.0, Airpcap adapter will be supported.
Aircrack-ng is the next generation of aircrack with lots of new features:

Better documentation (wiki, manpages) and support (Forum, trac, IRC: #aircrack-ng on Freenode).
More cards/drivers supported
More OS and platforms supported
New WEP attack: PTW
WEP dictionary attack
Fragmentation attack
Improved cracking speed
Capture with multiple cards
New tools: airtun-ng, packetforge-ng (improved arpforge), wesside-ng, easside-ng, airserv-ng, airolib-ng, airdriver-ng and airbase-ng

.aircrack-ng.org

Always check the sites that support your tool for the latest.
Write a tutorial once you get all set up.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

check for Buffalo ones, they work with netstumbler and all other apps, and afaik they are the only ones with external antenna connectors (cantenna, wohoo!)...they might not be the cheapest ones, but it's worth it.
personally I am using a netgear one, works also fine with any wardriving app... :wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

wep cracking..reloaded and a USB adapter

Post by DNR »

Your level of enjoyment will depend on what OS you choose. If you run windows, get BT2. Don't know what BT2 is, learn BT2 first.

I know BB, so I know he is running 'nux. :wink:

This is probably the best article on cracking encrypted wifi
WEP Cracking..Reloaded, Kevin Herring and Tim Higgins
August 01, 2007
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30114/98/

The best WEP cracking toolset has been developed by the Aircrack-ng team, so that's what we're going to use. Aircrack-ng is a collection of programs aimed at WEP and WPA-PSK key cracking. While are are seven programs (plus a few Tools) in the suite, we'll be using four of them:

airmon-ng - for switching the wireless adapter into monitor mode
airodump-ng - for WLAN discovery and packet capture
aireplay-ng - for traffic generation
aircrack-ng - for recovering the WEP key

Although there are versions of the suite that run on Windows and even Zaurus OSes, we're going to use the Linux version. Don't worry about not being a Linux expert, however, since we'll be using the BackTrack 2 (BT2) live CD, which will leave your Windows machine's hard drive unchanged. BT2 comes with the entire aircrack-ng suite already installed.
Also here I found what upgrade I will get (I was thinking about a parabolic desktop antenna for wifi sniffing)
Another WLAN adapter we used was the Edimax EW-7318USG USB adapter. This is supported by the aircrack-ng suite (as well as Kismet, if you choose to use it) and uses a Ralink RT2571W chipset). More importantly, it has an external antenna connector on it.

Kevin bought his in the UK from Dabs but it is just a rebranded device that comes under many different guises such as the Hawking HWUG1 in the US (Price Range: $42.99 - $55.99 from 7 Sellers.) It can be attached to a USB extension cable and optional high-gain antenna and stuck out a home or car window for better signal coverage.

[url http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/pro ... ProdID=302 ]Hawking Tech HWUG1[/url]

This adapter, however, does require some additional steps to successfully use it for an ARP replay attack.
BT2 used the RT2500 driver by default for the adapter, but it does not support packet injection. So you need to force BT2 to use the RT73 drivers, which do support packet injection.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

hpprinter100
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by hpprinter100 »

Hello i recently purchased a D-Link G122 wi-fi adapter from Amazon and it was about £20 and it cracked my WEP in about 8mins kinda scary but freakin kwl at same time. WEP was initaly used to check if packets had been send correctly so cant blame it for poor security