[Project] Parabolic Wifi Dish.

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[Project] Parabolic Wifi Dish.

Post by Stavros »

Ok, I know I've been rather silent for the past several months, but a forum mate (Propane) told me about a project him and a friend did.

Propane told me that he built a cheap parabolic dish that extended his wifi range to about a mile. He says he used a vegetable strainer, a USB adapter, a camera tripod and a USB wireless adapter.

I haven't spoken to him about it yet, but I have class with him so I will speak to him about it tomorrow. I will provide pictures and a how-to.

[Edit] I just realized I forgot why I put this in "Hacking/Wardriving" when this should go to "General". I put this in Wardriving because Propane has an AC Adapter in his car and when I make mine and we go hang out we'll set it up in the back of his car and we'll test it out. And I will provide pictures of this too (unless someone has a legal objection to this). No I will not be hacking anyone's Wireless Access Point, although I admit the temptation will be strong.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Sounds awesome 8O No use for me doing it out here though, keep us updated! i wanna read how it works for you ^^
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

pictures, pictures! :D

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I am going to build my self one of those. I just need to get one of those big SAT antenna dishes.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

Reminds me of a book i read called wireless home projects, it had all kind of cool shit. Tell me if anyone's interested, i'll upload on rapidshare

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Interest is noted, right here! I want to convert a satellite I have into a wifi receiver.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

pseudo-opcode. Post it. I know there's a crapload of projects I'd like to do. When I get to the house I pretty much have nothing to do.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Ok, so I talked to Propane about the project. Here's how it's going to go down. This weekend him and a few friends are going to go to a concert and see some band play (I don't remember who). When he gets back (probably late Saturday night or early Sunday morning) we will build the dish Sunday afternoon. I already bought the strainer "dish" (a measly $5 and change). Now comes the hard part. Finding a USB A to USB A adapter. I went to most of the places today in search of one, but came up empty handed. Come Sunday we'll either just use a USB A to USB B cord or try to find an adapter.

Anyway just a small update.

I'll take pictures just before, during and after construction. I'll also post the steps we took (which probably won't be much).

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

They have the usb a to usb a cords at radio shack ;)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

That's one of the first places I looked, but I'm really hesitant to pay $30 for the cable and adapters. If that's the only option, then i'll buy it, but I think I can find it for cheaper.