bruteforcer + workgroup computer = will it work

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
d34th
forum buddy
forum buddy

bruteforcer + workgroup computer = will it work

Post by d34th »

ok so I need to access a computer on my workgroup here at home and I am unable to do so thanks to a pesky password protection options thusfar

1) bruteforce and wait for days

2) install a sniffer to wait for keystrokes on the network

3)insert an idea that works well here

any help is greatly appreciated

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Bruteforce is useless, so you might as well stop that now ^^

Check THIS LINK to read more about why.

Anyway if the computers aren't connected to a hub then the sniffing might get a little harder, also I doubt that it's sent in clear text. There are methods to sniff in a switched network, but they are a little trickier then in a hubed one.

Since you can get far enough to get a password prompt, you might want to scan the target computer for open ports. If you are lucky, it's not patched :roll:
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

if you have physical access use the Ophcrack live CD:
http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

:wink:

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

workgroups dont have passwords, its the machines which do,
to log into the machine you simply need to enter the username and password on account on that machine,
the computer you want to access, what OS does it have? Windows or linux,
in linux, it would be samba server and you would need the config file for password,
in windows you need to give correct privileges in the sharing options,
please note that by default they are disabled,
to enable you need to go to tools>folder options> view tab
and uncheck "use simple file sharing"

after this right click on the drive/folder you want to share and there you see advanced options,

all this is assuming its on your own home network, so obviously its yours and you are not hacking into some other workgroup via wifi or something.

Edit: in default settings, if your user account on windows does not have a password, then enter the username and leave password blank, else enter the username and password of the account on that machine.

d34th
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by d34th »

well let me clarify

its a computer on my LAN here in MY home.

i know workgroups aren't pw protected sorry if i didnt make that part clear

The computer is XP SP2, its always running but its locked on the using the admin password lock.

1st) Cats, thanks I the bruteforce was a good read, but I was looking for something like badbrain put up :D

So by using the ophcrack it says i gotta boot it but I know CD is last to boot so I need to get access to the cpu so change it to boot first according to the ophcrack website.

Im not well versed in port sniffing so Im looking for a more hands on way to do the job and Hopefully I can gain access so i can attempt to use this ophcrack.

Thanks to all those who posted

im still open to other ideas :D

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

cmon man its windows, and using something like rainbow tables is like insulting windows,
if you forgot the administrator password, ok this can be more like a administrator password reset tutorial if you have physical access, ok here it goes

remember this will only change the password, you cant get existing password with this method,

go to start>run
type "control userpasswords2" and you can change every damn password, without confirming the current one.

amen

d34th
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by d34th »

not looking to change needs to be discrete i need access to the box without anyone finding out that I have accessed the box. the password needs to stay the same.

I just need the password to access it from my box via the network I can look at somethings.

ideas?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

add a new account on the computer physically and then use that one?
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

rhysh
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by rhysh »

pseudo_opcode wrote:cmon man its windows, and using something like rainbow tables is like insulting windows,
if you forgot the administrator password, ok this can be more like a administrator password reset tutorial if you have physical access, ok here it goes

remember this will only change the password, you cant get existing password with this method,

go to start>run
type "control userpasswords2" and you can change every damn password, without confirming the current one.

amen
also in cmd

net user username *
new password
new password

also try freedos.org