Hash [MD5 hash, rainbow tables, and SOLVED]

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
Steven8o8o

Hash [MD5 hash, rainbow tables, and SOLVED]

Post by Steven8o8o »

I have an MD5 hash that I found from a mysql database back up. I tried many online decoders but none of them seemed to work. There is a bit of a twist to it, the password's owner speaks three languages: French, Italian, and English. My guess would be that the password is French. So, any ideas on what could be done?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post,
Steven

Also, if this is in the wrong place, I apologise.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Welcome to Suck-o :) take your time to introduce yourself and read our rules, since you are new ;)

Well the language doesn't matter since it wouldn't have any effect on the cracking of the password. You can either try to bruteforce it, or maybe try to brute it with rainbow tables. I think milw0rm has a good cracked, although I don't recommend using online crackers if you are in a hurry since beside the extremely long time it can take to crack a hash, they have a waiting line that is usually very long.

Good Luck :)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Steven8o8o

Post by Steven8o8o »

Thank you for the welcome, I have been here for some time, but I am not much of a poster. And, thanks for the quick response.

I had a feeling about the whole language part wasn't going to be a big deal. Yea, I am getting a bit agitated with the online crackers. Do you have any recommendations as to what programs I could use (I am running both Vista and Linux) to bruteforce it?

Again thanks for the welcome and quick response,
Steven

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

You can try with creating your own rainbow tables, although this can take some time ^^

Project rainbow crack

Code: Select all

http://www.antsight.com/zsl/rainbowcrack/
I can't remember a good cracker at the moment (03:00 AM here, pretty tired), but I'll take a look in the morning ^^
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

if you have a decent internet connection and best a rapidshare account you can download rainbow table sets here:
http://rainbowtables.ddl.cx/
you can use them together with Cain:
http://www.oxid.it/cain.html

Cain also has a bruteforce option to crack MD5s, but I don't know how long it takes or how good it works, because I am using the rainbow tables from 1st link.

how is the hash looking btw, is it a regular MD5 or is something like $h$ at the start? in the latter case you're out of luck because it's a salted hash.

:wink:

rhysh
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by rhysh »

aare you sure its md5?

is it salted post the hash,if you got the scripts check it if its php or something check for this

md5($pass); or something simular
idk check for something like that

Steven8o8o

Post by Steven8o8o »

I have downloaded cain, I am not sure about downloading through rapidshare though because of I don't have an account and it will take a huge amount of time to download . I am 99.9% sure that it is a regular md5 hash. The reason why is because the other hashes in the backup were also md5 which I did successfully crack. I'll probably try some rainbow tables because brute forcing is last on my todo list. If anyone is interested the hash is: f8d78dc20cee8ebee8284daeaef42da8

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Hash:f8d78dc20cee8ebee8284daeaef42da8 Plain:titoupat
and no, this is NOT an invitation to ask me for more hash cracking... :P

Steven8o8o

Post by Steven8o8o »

bad_brain wrote:

Hash:f8d78dc20cee8ebee8284daeaef42da8 Plain:titoupat
and no, this is NOT an invitation to ask me for more hash cracking... :P
I am laughing to myself now, geez, that was quick. How long did it take you, and how big are your rainbow tables?

Thank you very much! Much appreciated!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

took 116 seconds, my rainbow tables are all together a little more than 50 GB (yet).... :wink: