Kevin Poulson owns fellow hacker?

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Kevin Poulson owns fellow hacker?

Post by Big-E »

Check it out:

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/0 ... acker.html
To: tom at cablehack.net
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 3:49 PM
Subject: Journalist's query

Hi Thomas. I'm working on a story about your FBI troubles. Are you free to talk?

K

------

To: Poulsen, Kevin
Date: Jan 09 2009 - 1:13pm

no id rather not share that information with the public.

Dude I thought you were referring to an incident with the fbi back in 2001-2003. I had been raided before for other things..

Posted by: Tom from cablehack | Jan 12, 2009 4:22:54 PM

Actually it wasnt even FBI it was state police. But Federal mail inspectors were involved. It wasnt even regarding me tho.. it was from someone living at my house committing fraud.. If these pdf's are real here I had no idea about them until now.

Please remove this story, because other modem stores are using it to laugh at my site, and I have yet to be contacted by law enforcement yet.

These modems are not illegal, why do you think ebay still allows them to be sold? Its a super grey area here.. if you sell a modem with altered mac/serial then its illegal.. but I do not do that and never will.

Posted by: Tom from cablehack | Jan 12, 2009 4:25:41 PM

This shit is funny. Read the whole article and then read the comments.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

According to the FBI, Swingler took up modem-modding after retiring from a career managing botnets — fleets of hacked computers used to steal consumer information and launch denial-of-service attacks.
Customizable modems can also have legitimate uses. But despite his public disclaimer, Swingler knew exactly why people were buying his hacked modems, according to the FBI, which set an informant on Swingler last June. "The modem steals the internet," he allegedly said in an online chat with the snitch. He described his business as "modem modification where you can get free cable internet."

"It's 100 percent legal," he boasted. "What the end user does is theft-of-service. Not my problem."

Using a cloned or fictitious MAC address could not only provide free broadband, it would frustrate law enforcement efforts to track down an internet user committing other crimes online. "You could do mad fraud off it," Swingler allegedly explained in another chat session.
There are other sellers of hacked modems, but none got caught admitting they knew their product was being used illegally
Because the hacked modems have legitimate uses, Swingler's statements to the informant could make all the difference in the case, says Mark Rasch, a former Justice Department cybercrime prosecutor.
Its like this:
You can sell firearms around here. But if you sell a firearm, knowing that it was going to be used illegally - i.e. the buyer agrees to use it to rob someone. If you setup a gunshop, you don't put up a sign that says "Criminals Welcome!"

The guy might have been ratted out by Pulson, but I got no sympathy for swingler.

DNR

*"Hacking the cable modem" is widely available for download..
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

to bad they dont work here :(
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

why not?

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Still_Learning »

*Downloading Ebook*

lol

I checked Ebay and didnt see any "Customizable cable modems" on there
Gone