Defensive Worm

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
Tep
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Defensive Worm

Post by Tep »

Heres an idea i had earlier today....I was thinking about that new worm that microsofts hella pissed about and the topic of a cure worm

Anyways i figured i'd run it by you guys to see what you think/if its already been done or allow everyone to add their own thoughts to it

Lets say your running server x hosting a website of some sort

You keep you security up to date but lets say you fall behind and someone
realizes this and exploits the vulnerability and gains access to you sever...

Well my idea was maybe have some sort of defensive worm/virus that just kinda sits dormant within your server but has a list of IPs that are allowed to access the server and checks your IP against the list when you or someone else logs in

and this hacker not being on the list gets his comp infected by said virus or worm.

Could be anything like a simple program that forces a shutdown of the comp or a more malicious type that may start a 12mil bot net :lol:

DrVirus
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by DrVirus »

Okay. It's an idea. But let me ask you something, what if the admin has an dynamic ip. I mean look at me. I happen to have a dynamic IP. That means if your security is activated then if I log out and reconnect then I will be infected. If I don't want that, then I will have to load a huge list of all my ISP Ips so that the worm can match my new ip to each of them and make sure I am an admin. Then again what if the hacker is from the same ISP ?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

dr.virus is right, dynamic IPs and spoofed IPs will be an issue. MAC? can be spoofed as well. What about search engines? New visitors?

A better idea might be a new form of communication via worms. Lets say Doomsday kills most of the internet. DNS is down. Find another way to get a message from your computer to a server, BBS, forum where your family and friends await to see if you are ok.

The worm's payload is the message you want to send to a specific user. The worm will propagate itself until it reaches the right computer, lacking DNS or static routing because of a nuclear attack, the worm must search each new computer it infects for a route to continue hopping. Consider human beings and the "sixth degree of separation' - that one person knows another person in every six person. So the worm, will keep trying new IPs and ad-hoc networks until it finds you.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Tep
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Tep »

ah true i didn't think about dynamic IPs :lol:

and the worm wouldn't necessarily be within the website
but it only checks the IPs of admins i guess

like say im hosting the site....

when i log into my administrative account it runs my IP against the list
but doesn't worry about users/guest browsing or using the site.

if that makes sense.....

and the spoofing i wouldn't know how to prevent

but i was assuming that it would be unexpected to the hacker and unless he/she had one of the admins IP address and they would get infected...

and i kinda see what you are saying DNR

I donno it was just a random idea I had the other
but I didnt put too much thought into it since my knowledge on worms is rather limited

guess i should done a little research and thought before posting :lol:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Tep - its all good, ideas are born this way - when a person ask "Why not?"

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.