Certified Ethical hacker

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Certified Ethical hacker

Post by pseudo_opcode »

[rant]
CEH is getting more and more common, people now want to hire "Certified ethical hackers", I dont think they can create a more ridiculous certification than this.

To start with, a "Certified Ethical Hacker" means certifying someone that he's ethical and hacker!
What do they teach? Do they teach ethics or they teach hacking?

Lets not get too specific, by a "hacker" i dont restrict to a computer guy, in my opinion, even a carpenter who modifies something either for his needs or curiousity is a hacker.

And everyone who is not a hacker(in life) is a fool.

Why do they need to specify "ethical" explicitly? why cant we just call it "Certified hacker". Everyone knows, media has created a wrong perception of hackers, ideally everyone should condemn blackhats by prefixing "unethical hackers" than by certifying them as "ethical" hackers.

Well,i hate certification for hackers as much as i hate use of the word "ethical" used for hackers.
Hacking is an art, and i it requires creativity, have anyone seen "certified painter"? why not?

Why couldnt they just call them "certified security experts" or something, if they hate hackers so much?

I would never go for such a degree as CEH, so i automatically disqualify for jobs requiring CEH degrees, and i dont think that in an interview i would use the word hacking at all when i m talking about my experience.

I have actually started to feel bad that i was ever involved in hacking, i feel like a criminal.
I know why hackers are not active socially, no one takes them positively,
in my case, i happen to be a social person, and eyebrows are always raised if this topic pops up in any conversation.

And the worst part, we get the most respect among people who want to do scams, hack email ids, get credit card numbers.

I could have been a rich son of a bitch by working only like 4 hours a day, 2 days a week, i dont fear getting caught, but the reason i dont do this is because i wont be able to sleep after knowing i robbed someone's hard earned money.

Still if i mention that i have been into hacking, they would certainly think bad about me, somewhere in their heart of hearts.

Some other factors are also responsible for that, all of my friends who have the right skills, either consider hacking as a dark area, and the ones who are into hacking have chosen to go to wrong path.

I have left several "hacking groups" only because they eventually decided to chose the wrong path.

A couple of years ago me and my two friends formed "Root Cor3", those two guys were two of the best guys i've ever known, we worked on a lot of shit, learnt a lot and experimented a lot, until one day he gave me a list of sites defaced by "Root Cor3", so all that we worked on was actually being used for unethical reasons.

Then i had this geek in my class, initially we hated each other as we were "competition" in class, but at the end of the year, we were the best friends, apart from programming skills, i admired his hardware knowledge, he was the guy who actually taught me things about hardware.
Again one day, i told him that i m into hacking and all, and told him it was just for knowledge, he was like "woah dude, that is not cool, stay away from me", ofcourse i explained him, but still things did change after that.

Until i found suck-o, you guys have the right attitude, you know the line between right and wrong, that's why i m writing all this here.

But after all this CEH crap, and looking at everyone's thinking on this,
though my attitude and my curiousity has NOT changed, but i definitely dont wanna be called as a "hacker".

Pseudo_opcode is not a hacker
[/rant]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

the CEH certificate is a joke, if they would mean this serious they would have to send each candidate to a psychological assessment about his "proper ethics" first.... :roll:
in the course you learn "really hacky stuff" like using port scanners for example, I wonder why there is no "ethical linux server administration certificate" then...not that I would take the course, just interested... :lol:

"hackers" have been dumbed down to ordinary criminals by the media, the CEH certificate also makes use of this prejudice by making people think "oh, he knows all the CC-data rippin' servercrackin' DDoS runnin' stuff but the certificate proves his proper ethics"... :roll: I've seen the topics they teach in CEH courses: a little network admin stuff and a little coder stuff...no hacking and no ethics. hacking is a way of life and ethics are a state of mind, at least the first one is impossible to teach.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I agree - never use the word hacking/hacker in a job interview.

I got certs and degree in CIS/IT with Novell 4/5.0 and Managewise, as well as Win2k AS, A+, and network technologies. That should be the job description. Past experience? Built rackmounts and desktop servers, setup several networks. I performed presentations on computer and network security. I could get a CISSP so my resume is security heavy.
I have a training in criminalistics and security administration.

No need to use the term hacker. People will call you that, not yourself.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

CEH is a joke

Post by lilrofl »

Without recalling all the points that have been made, I agree that CEH is a joke. To imply that someone has ethics because they enrolled in a certain study program is ludicrous.

Interested in the course outlines however I took a look, and was suitably unimpressed, as it covered about the same material as, "Build your own Security Lab: a field guide for network testing by Michael Gregg" not a bad book mind you, but way cheaper then the course... and most of it is foundational...

Just my $.02 =)

eppik
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by eppik »

bad_brain wrote:I wonder why there is no "ethical linux server administration certificate" then...
Hehe...Nice one :twisted:

MariaLara
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by MariaLara »

bad_brain wrote: "ethical linux server administration certificate".
Start a course, make some on line classes,you just cashed in and made your fortune..
There are linux admin certs just put the ethical in there :D

I had a friend take the ethical hacker class and the teacher recommended
hacking for dummies. :lol:
That class is offered at Universities and colleges everywhere now. Just easy money for them.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

that's a brilliant idea ML, and I even have the proper learning material for my students already:

:lol:

eppik

Post by eppik »

bad_brain wrote:that's a brilliant idea ML, and I even have the proper learning material for my students already:

:lol:
Hehe omg they'd die :D

hij-h-acker
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Re: Certified Ethical hacker

Post by hij-h-acker »

pseudo_opcode wrote:[rant]
Pseudo_opcode is not a hacker
[/rant]
Dont mind Pseudo...just read from ur blog: "Sys Admin by Profession, hacker by choice!" :) :wink:

jaggy1
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by jaggy1 »

p4inl0v3r wrote:or did we think ...wow this is a cool thing , wonder what will happen if i change it like this or modify it ....
I think that mindset is one of a true seeker of knowledge. Its not to do harm ( well ya know not normally) but to learn more and the more you learn the more you see what you dont know. Thats the hook for me at least. I want to know how what where ect. As I learn something I notice 10 more things I dont know and off I go in search of the answers. I guess thats the hacker mindset but my mentor taught me first and foremost to remember one thing - The best offense is a good defense- not go out and destroy what you can just because you can.

Well thats my 2 cents for what its worth. Back to the tuts !! :P I have lots to catch up on me thinks.

Killab

ceh

Post by Killab »

Well in my opinion if you haven't watched it you really cant judge it. and even if you don't want to get certified for it, knowledge is power and this contains alot of decent info in it. there are 80+ videos here:

[/url][/code]

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

there are some boards u guys do not have access to.....and its fulled with evil books supplied by yours truly :P
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

jaggy1
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by jaggy1 »

:-99 sneaks into thuggy's stash and peaks at his library!! :lol: then looks around for an interpretter to explain