Best Net Security/Hacking Laptop

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
F4LSE
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Best Net Security/Hacking Laptop

Post by F4LSE »

Its been awhile since ive been on here but i had a question ive been researching and i thought, what better place for good feedback than suck-o :P

I have about 2700 bucks saved to buy a laptop. I'd prefer to keep it around or under 2000. But my question for everyone is what would be the ideal laptop for network security and hacking because that will be my major come college. Im looking for a laptop with the whole package, linux support, CUDA support, injection support, etc. I've done some research on my own but am curious as to what suggestions you all may have :)
\"Submit or Fight\"

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I would look for a laptop with a wifi card that supports wireless injection (look at linuxwireless.org for specifics). Preferably one with a battery life with 4 hours or more. Other than that it'll be entirely up to the Operating System and software packages you choose to put on it.

It's entirely possible to get a laptop under $1000. With the exception of a decent battery I got a decent laptop for $500. Of course I can't use it for gaming, but that's why I have a desktop.

F4LSE

Post by F4LSE »

well i obviously need a wifi card that supports injection, i specified that. I also know that i can get a nice browsing laptop for around 400, but like i said, i have around 2700 to spend on it. I'll be using linux mostly and all the backtrack distro tools, which is why i asked... what would be the best laptop for all that stuff while spending 2700 bucks. But thanks anyway
\"Submit or Fight\"

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Man at 2700 you can get a laptop that is overkill. Just go on newegg and peek around. Perhaps focusing on a large hard drive this makes for a lot of room when installing multiple operating systems. Hell you can get a real nice laptop for 1700. Then with the savings purchase some books or build a tower that you can practice on.

Just check for drivers for each op-system

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

once you have a specific laptop in mind check here for eventual problems and how to fix them (in context with Linux I mean):
http://www.linux-laptop.net/
http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html

"injection"? I guess you mean promiscuous mode...:-k
I haven't been able to find a list of laptop NICs that support promiscuous mode, so I recommend to google for the specific model once you have a candidate you want to buy.

and yeah, 2700 bucks for a lappy is A LOT....usually such expensive laptops are only that expensive because they use high-performance hardware focused on gaming. might sound nice, but this usually also means the battery runtime is pretty short because the hardware is very powerhungry....and at least for me a laptop has to be highly portable, and a laptop where the battery is empty after 1-2 hours already is far away from being highly portable. if I would buy a laptop my main focus would be on the battery runtime... :wink:

F4LSE

Post by F4LSE »

alrighty! thanks guyz!

yeah 2700 is a lot for a single machine, espcially a laptop, and i dont think ill need to spend that much. i like floodhounds idea too, maybe ill use some of the extra cash for books or upgrade my existing tower because i have plenty of junkers setup on my network to practice on :)
also battery life is something that will be a major factor, thanks for the reminder BB ;)

im gonna do some more searchin and ill post back what i come up with
\"Submit or Fight\"

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

quick look here at this thread-

Linux is the OS you need to wardrive and passively sniff. So my only consideration for a wardriving laptop is one that can install linux and have drivers available for the devices.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.