Capped cable modem - BSNL

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
AlladinArabian

Capped cable modem - BSNL

Post by AlladinArabian »

I am using a USB cable modem provided by my ISP BSNL, UTSTARCOM model no UT300R2U , It has been capped by ISP , even though I am using broadband service my downloading speed is never more than 32kbps and a friend of mine using USB wireless modem for wireless internet is able to download with around 60kbps do you think my modem can be uncapped or should I buy another cable modem.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

In the thread "DNR's Suggested Readings" you'll find the complete cable modem hacking guide - "Everything the cable company does not want you to know"

*edit - here it is
Cable modem hacking: Everything the cable company does not want you to know 330pgs 21mb PDF
http://digitalnomad.suck-o.net/DNR/red/cable_modem.zip

It is possible that your ISP just doesn't have the bandwidth to provide to its customers. So putting a new cable modem on the network might not help much.

What you are talking about is discussed on the internet as "Network Neutrality" - groups that discuss cable/ISP throttling - most ISPs do this because they want to scale their network for more customers, and they need to keep the QoS of the network predictable for marketing.

Your friend's network is using a different company, a different technology, and those two reasons would be why he is able to get more bandwidth. His technology is likely cheaper and more reliable for the kind of area you might live in. (if you have poor legacy cables, the newer cellphone tower technology would be cheaper to run)

Go check out the tuts about modding cable modems and decide if thats what you need, or switch ISPs.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

btw the word on the net is that BSNL routers have default logins of admin:admin

I tried to access routers but I get a connection, then fails to get page. I think you might have more luck as you will be on their network to try it. Try to use the browser or telnet to obtain the webinterface page for your router, then find your neighbor's router :wink:

http://wiki.broadbandforum.in/Ut_300r2u

Apache/2.2.0 (Fedora) Server at www.calcuttatelephones.com Port 80
http://www.calcuttatelephones.com/dataoneinstall/

Lastly - you said its a USB cable modem - meaning you plug it into your computer via the USB port. I have a Y-cable and this speeds up my traffic allowing send/received via two USB ports running at the same time.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.