obtaining ip address's

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
offshoreposer
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

obtaining ip address's

Post by offshoreposer »

hey people, i know this is sooooo newbish, but how can i odtain find a target computer like an ip address or how can i set up an excercise for myself to learn how to hack, i have a seperate laptop that i want to use to learn how to hack but all i need is a lil help pointing me in the rite direction of a program to help me gain access and maybe one that i can use to find the basic into of the target machine. any help?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

First understand how IPs are issued. While webservers will have static assigned IPs (they never change), users of ISPs get dynamically assigned IPs. This is because the ISP makes money by having more customers than the network can handle and it expects that each user will not be on at the same exact time. Everytime you log on and off, you obtain and release your IP to and from the ISP.
This means that trying to trace webservers are easy. Use WHOIS.
This means that trying to trace users is not, at best your trace will lead to the ISP. And unless you attack the IP at the same exact time you know your target is on, you might attack someone innocent. You will need a legal court order to ask the ISP to tell you who used the IP at an exact time and date.

Now, when you learn to understand how networks are built, then you can understand that there are some exceptions to the IP rule. Example- at your school or college - users sitting at each computer can be traced easily - each computer is assigned a static IP. This is a small LAN, but it can also work on a larger MAN/WAN - example - you can access another campus of the same school or college - at another location. The IPs will be static there too. This can work on Corporations and certainly small businesses - but you'll have to be inside their network.

Wardriving can locate open gateways into private networks.
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.