.ple file extention

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

.ple file extention

Post by moudy »

I have this file that has .ple extention, and its encrypted ( I actually want to decrypt the content )
Now I did alot of search on the internet, mostly I read that with out the password its almost impossible to get the info from the file.
What are the possible ways to brute force / ceack the password ?
Or if there are any other ways to do the job.
Im searching for ideas, but im not finiding any. :roll:
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

In an attempt to discover the nature of this file extension and how it works and what I can do in it, I decided to start messing with python IDLE.
This is what I got:

Code: Select all

>>> f = open("filename.ple", "r")
>>> text = f.read()
>>> print text
MPLE2<<ä
>>> 
Now I'm quit interested to know what " MPLE2<<ä " means. does it have any significance ? I tried to search for this on google, but I found nothing.
I hope I get any answer from the python coders here.

leetnigga
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by leetnigga »

.PLE files are Messenger Plus! encrypted chat log files.

MPLE2 are the characters at the beginning of the file that identify it as such a file.

The stuff after MPLE2 is binary data, the actual content of the file. Rendered as ASCII the first few bytes look like "<<ä". It's pretty safe to say that the file contents are not plain ASCII, so representing them that way is useless.

The reason Python only read the first few bytes and no further is because you didn't open the file in a binary mode such as "rb".

If you want to decrypt the file, you'll most likely need a key. You'll also need to know how the file is decrypted, for which you'll probably have to look at the Messenger Plus! assembly. If you want to brute-force it you'll have to try every key, which is probably infeasible.

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

leetnigga wrote:.PLE files are Messenger Plus! encrypted chat log files.

MPLE2 are the characters at the beginning of the file that identify it as such a file.

The stuff after MPLE2 is binary data, the actual content of the file. Rendered as ASCII the first few bytes look like "<<ä". It's pretty safe to say that the file contents are not plain ASCII, so representing them that way is useless.

The reason Python only read the first few bytes and no further is because you didn't open the file in a binary mode such as "rb".

If you want to decrypt the file, you'll most likely need a key. You'll also need to know how the file is decrypted, for which you'll probably have to look at the Messenger Plus! assembly. If you want to brute-force it you'll have to try every key, which is probably infeasible.
That's really nice info you provided there pal :)
now, I did open the file in "rb" mode
it gave me as before :roll:
About the encryption algorithm, how can I find it ?

leetnigga

Post by leetnigga »

moudy wrote:now, I did open the file in "rb" mode
it gave me as before :roll:
That's odd. How big is the file? Can you upload it some place like Rapidshare?
moudy wrote:About the encryption algorithm, how can I find it ?
Assuming Messenger Plus! has some sort of log viewer, the code to decrypt the log files will be in there. You'd have to disassemble the binary and find the decryption routine.

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

Sorry for my late reply, I was busy a lot.
The file is more than 100kb so I'm sure there is some thing odd in IDLE. when I open the file with Microsoft word the data is there, but in gibberish form.
As for the encryption, I read this post on the msn plus community site

Hello.

I just thought I'd post this up here incase it helps anyone. Attached is a tool to encrypt or decrypt log files, I'll bring out a tool which will encrypt/decrypt a whole directory when I have more time.

To decrypt Messenger Plus! log files (C++):

Fileformat of .ple files

First 10 bytes are the same for all log files.
const char standardHeader[] = {0x10,0x01,'M','P','L','E','1','<','<',0};

The next 4 bytes, I'm not sure what they are for, but in all log files I've seen they are
const char unknownbytes[] = {1,0,0,0};

After this is the length of the password check string (4 bytes). This is usually 13
Then comes the encrypted password check string. Ill talk about how to decrypt it later.

All that was the header. For the rest of the file, it is in multiple chunks of data.
Each of these chunks start with the 'signature' :
const char sig[] = {0xE9,0xFF,0xA3,0x00};
After this, there is the length of the following data (4 bytes).
Then there is the encrypted text.

To decrypt text :

Messenger Plus! uses the CryptoAPI to encrypt and decrypt text.
This is set up with the following call
CryptAcquireContextW(&hProv,L"MessengerPlusEncryptProvider",L"Microsoft Enhanced Cryptographic Provider v1.0",1,0);

I discovered that for some reason, the password is scrambled, and that the password is unicode (2 bytes).^o)
The algorithm for this in pseudo code is:

for i = 0 to length of password - 1
newpassword = password + password [i + 1]
next i
newpassword[last letter] = password[last letter] + password[0]

The calls to continue setting up so that you can decrypt text are:

CryptCreateHash(hProv,0x8003,0,0,&hHash);
CryptHashData(hHash,newpassword,len,0);
CryptDeriveKey(hProv,0x6801,hHash,0x800000,&hKey);

This final call gives you a HCRYPTKEY which you can use in the CryptEncrypt and CryptDecrypt functions on the text :D

Sorry if this is all a bit confusing, I dont think i formatted it, or explained it very well :$

Solus

Edit - I replaced the file with one which has the VC runtime library statically linked, so it *should* work now

Edit 2 - Ok, so I converted it all to unicode, and made a few changes so it'll run on computers which haven't got Messenger Plus on.

.exe File Attachment: mpLogs.exe (56 KB)

so basically the crypto API is used to decrypt the text, given the right password.
Now I read in other posts that in msn plus! live a stronger encryption algorithm is used, so basically I was to search if I can find it some where, or I have to reverse engineer the application my self. ( which basically I have no knowledge in )
in case you want leet, I'll upload the file on rapid share, and ill send you the link in a message.

leetnigga

Post by leetnigga »

moudy wrote:in case you want leet, I'll upload the file on rapid share, and ill send you the link in a message.
Yes.
moudy wrote:Now I read in other posts that in msn plus! live a stronger encryption algorithm is used, so basically I was to search if I can find it some where, or I have to reverse engineer the application my self. ( which basically I have no knowledge in )
Messenger Plus! Live installs a separate executable named Log Viewer.exe that lets you decrypt log files on the command line provided a log file and a password. You could either write a script to run the tool repeatedly with different passwords on the same file until it succeeds, or disassemble it so you can use the decryption code in your own brute forcer.

Scripting is the easy way which will be slower. Disassembly will be a lot harder but with a much faster brute forcer as a result.