How to detect a keylogger?

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
z3r0aCc3Ss
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

How to detect a keylogger?

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

Hello friends, I am back after a long long time. I have been given a task on keyloggers.
I want to discover how to detect keyloggers. There is one program called KL-Detector, but I don't want to use that and also it is not perfect. I DON'T want to use ANY tool.

I want manual search and recover method of keyloggers. Any help from anyone would be appreciated. There are very noob methods I found on google but they are limited to only 40% of keylogger concept.

One more question. Do keyloggers use kernel as rootkits use???
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

If that keylogger is using FTP or PHP or SMTP to upload logs, then its quite easy to detect. But what if it is in-built into the system or more importantly what if the keylogger is hardware and not a software???

Also, is it possible to detect hardware keylogger without looking at the back of the CPU? Is there any program to scan such problem? This is very funny qstn, but I am just asking...
Learning NMAP

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Well if its a hardware key logger, just unplug it from the computer.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

floodhound2 wrote:Well if its a hardware key logger, just unplug it from the computer.
Yea, thats it. But is there any software to detect that also?

Any suggestion on my above 2 posts? Please help...
Learning NMAP

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hardware keyloggers can't be found via software, simply because they don't have any connection to the software level of the system.

and no, keylogger usually don't use rootkit techniques....to install a rootkit the system must already be under complete control, it's not like with the good old trojans where clicking an exe installs it....at least I am not aware of any rootkit that can be installed that way.

finding a software keylogger can be easy or pretty tricky, depends on the techniques it uses....usually it should be easy to find in the process list, but of course it is possible to camouflage it by naming the process "svchost" for example, so it is a must to check every process manually (where is the exe located for example), ProcessExplorer is a great help for this.

you also should watch the outgoing connections, best with TCPview, of course most keyloggers don't send permanent traffic (after every keyboard interaction I mean) because it would be too suspicious, but a nice way to get a grip on the connection attempts would be to simply let the box idle for 1-2 days and log the traffic with Wireshark.

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

Thanks a lot bb for that valuable info.
Learning NMAP

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

Here, I got some info on keylogger construction:-

The most common methods used to construct keylogging software are as follows:

a system hook which intercepts notification that a key has been pressed (installed using WinAPI SetWindowsHook for messages sent by the window procedure. It is most often written in C);

a cyclical information keyboard request from the keyboard (using WinAPI Get(Async)KeyState or GetKeyboardState – most often written in Visual Basic, sometimes in Borland Delphi);

using a filter driver (requires specialized knowledge and is written in C).
Learning NMAP