Override Admin Rights

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
DC44

Override Admin Rights

Post by DC44 »

I have a laptop from my old job, can log on and access the web but can't install any new programs due to the admin rights set up by the IT guy. Is there a way to override this access so I can have full use? I've downloaded Bit-Torrent to a flash drive but of course can't complete the install due to the admin rights.

Its a decent pc and I want to keep using it until I can afford a new one. Any suggestions?

FrankB
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics

Post by FrankB »

Other qualified members here that are more into Windows can give a better and more accurate reply but i'll give you a pragmatic solution that counts for all :

passwords have an expiracy date or a renewal date but surely a creation date.
So, change the TIME of your computer in the BIOS settings way back in time : to be sure, just briefly put the system time in 1974.

If your BIOS has a password that blocks that operation, there is a hardware `hack' yu can do : open the laptop and take out the system clock / battery (CMOS device) attached to the Motherboard. Twist and do the Hookey-pookey dance with it for a few minutes and plug it all back in.

Otherwise : copy & paste this nice linkie in a fresh browser window :

Code: Select all

http://www.tech-faq.com/reset-bios-password.shtml 
Plenty of uselful info :-)

--
FrankB

sternbildchen
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by sternbildchen »

Windows XP?

DC44

Post by DC44 »

Thanks FrankB

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

You could also boot up using a linux live cd, access your hard drive, copy your SAM file to a usb stick drive, or something similar, and then crack it with cain. :P
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

just the facts ma'am

Post by DNR »

we need to know the operating system and version, i.e. MS Win98 or ?
do not format, because you will need drivers for the components like the mouse, video card, nic, etc.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

DC44

Post by DC44 »

OS is Windows XP

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

reset XP os admin/ other passwords

Post by DNR »

try this then:
First reboot Windows XP in safe mode by re-starting the computer and pressing F8 repeatedly as the computer starts up. Then (in safe mode) click Start and then click Run. In the open box type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes.

You will now have access to all the user accounts, including the administrators account and will be able to reset the lost password.

Just click the administrators user account, and then click Reset Password.

You will need to add a new password in the New password and the Confirm new password boxes, and confirm by clicking OK.

This will not reveal what the old password was.
DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.